The Perfect Outcome

Skylar really loathed biology class. It had never been her favorite, with all the talk of organs and other disgusting soft tissues and the stupid posters plastered onto the walls of the classroom, 'cultured bacteria' wearing monocles and top-hats while grinning at the bored students.

But now there was a new reason that her lips twisted in distaste as soon as class began.

"Hey Muppet."

"Ace."

"What, no cute nickname for me?"

"How about 'asswipe'?"

"Oh, sassy. Is there any bite to back up that bark?"

"How about a kick in the balls, is that enough bite for you?"

"Kinky, Muppet, very kinky. You shouldn't rile me up like this at school."

"Back off, Ace."

"Hmm, but I would much rather have you back up –"

"Listen, I'm not afraid to get detention so if you don't want to get decked by a girl, you better stuff it."

"Alright, I'll save it for later."

"I don't want anything from you, now, later or in a million years."

"Sounds like a challenge."

"Sounds like you're asking for a beating."

"I like it a bit rough."

"And I'd like you to drop dead."

"Wouldn't you miss me?"

"Not one bit."

"I think you would."

"And I think you're delusional."

Skylar couldn't stand it any longer.

"Hey, Lexi, give me a hand with this."

Maya looked up from their biology sheet in surprise but Skylar ignored her in favor of the dark-haired girl sitting in front of them. Lexi actually appeared relieved as she turned around, as if Skylar had done her a favor instead of interrupting her banter with Ace.

"Sure, what do you need?"

Skylar plucked the work-sheet from Maya's slack fingers and waved it in front of Lexi's face. "This."

Lexi took the paper and studied it for a few seconds.

"It looks like you're doing fine."

"Explain it to me anyway."

Lexi smiled good-naturedly and looked at Maya. "Is she always this bossy?"

"I – Sky is, we're working together, so ..."

"Yes, and you better get used to it," Skylar interrupted the stuttering.

"Alright. See this chart here? You're supposed to document the rate of decay ..."

Ace turned around as well, his leather jacket creaking. For just a second his green eyes met Skylar's blue ones and then he was back to focusing his attention on Lexi.

"Helping the competition?"

"It's not a competition."

"You're making me feel left out, Muppet."

"Boo-freakin'-hoo."

"We're supposed to be partners."

Lexi ignored him, instead pointing to another part of the worksheet. "Right here, you already put down one correct answer, but it would be better to list all the possible ones as well."