The Approach

The best lesson on Friday for gossiping had always been gym class in fourth period as Coach Menderes only really cared that his jocks completed their required laps and push-ups, leaving the rest of the students mostly alone.

Sunshine was warming the grass around Skylar, glinting off of benches, sprint tracks and sweat. Those athletic kids, who were hoping for scholarships, needed to burn off an excess of anger or frustration or simply looked good doing it, were running around the tracks while Skylar preferred to work on her tan and show off her slim legs in the gym shorts, feeling eyes linger on her as she strode across the field.

Lexi had opted for something else entirely, having found a shaded spot next to the bleachers and was busy plucking up grass. Skylar scoffed internally while her smile beamed – she was not one to let opportunities pass her by or procrastinate once she had made up her mind.

"Lexi! What are you doing?"

Ignoring the way Lexi looked up at her in surprise, Skylar chose the least dirty spot on the lawn to carefully sit down. Really, Lexi could have at least opted for a place that wasn't still damp with dew.

"I'm just ..."

Skylar waved Lexi's attempt at an answer away. "Anyway, I'm here to invite you to go shopping."

"Me, shopping?"

"Who else? You're silly," Skylar smiled and leaned closer. She couldn't smell any perfume but Lexi must be using some kind of grapefruit shampoo, as the citrusy scent emitted from her, complimented by the green smell of freshly plucked grass.

Skylar hated to admit that it was nice.

"Homecoming is around the corner and you still need a dress, don't you?"

"Oh, I'm not going –"

"What? Of course you have to go! We're all going."

"But –"

"No buts, it's happening. Izzy, Deen and I are going dress shopping this Saturday and you'll be needing one too."

Lexi twirled a blade of grass between her fingers, her dark eyes sparkling with something Skylar couldn't identify. But it didn't look like either worship or intimidation, so she didn't exactly like it.

"Bit bossy, aren't you?"

Skylar held onto her smile. "I prefer 'persuasive'."

"Well, I'm not going to argue with you."

Skylar flicked her hair. "Good. So Saturday works for you?"

"Sure."

"We'll meet up at eleven. Should we come pick you up?"

"That's fine, I can drive."

Skylar's smile gained teeth. "Really? I saw you arrive with Ace this morning, that's why I thought ..."

"Yeah, something's up with my engine but I'll have it fixed by Saturday – hopefully."

"Isn't Ace's bike just horrible?" Skylar affected a shudder. "All the noise and I think I swallowed a bug once."

"I thought it was fun."

"Did you."

Lexi shrugged. "I would have liked to drive it myself."

"Why don't you ask Ace if you can take it for a spin?"

Almost on invisible command they both looked out over the sprawling field where all of the boys in the football team were running laps, most shoulder-checking and laughing with each other. Ace was in the midst of it all, his shirt clinging to his broad back, accenting each muscled dip while his hair was slicked back from his flushed face and bright eyes.