01- Let me put on a show

Manhattan, New York

New York's billboards illuminate the sky. Cars race down the streets, the traffic lights almost blinding, mashing with others. It's dizzying for Louis to be high off his mind, sure to get a headache being overwhelmed with New York's chaos. He's in the car, nursing a cigarette while his bandmates speak loudly. "Tonight was fucking awesome." Oli exclaims. 

Calvin nods in agreement— his nose hovering above the line of coke he has on the seat holder. Their adrenaline is still rushing from their previous show at Webster Hall. The fans are getting increasingly uproarious the more they perform. It's only a matter of time before they'll start to become those crazy rock bands you'll see in movies. Louis can feel it in his bones, it only makes him excited. He takes a drag of his cigarette, exhaling the smoke. "Zee says he's having an open bar, tonight." He mentions. 

Calvin smirks. "That's great. We could pick up some chicks, too." He elbows Oli suggestively, who barks out a laugh, although it wasn't that funny. It's obvious their high is beginning. Calvin's pupils are dilated largely, his face unrelaxed. Louis never understood how people can do coke, he's done it once or twice but he doesn't like the feeling of it. He usually sticks to pills and alcohol, but he doesn't take it as much. He tries to encourage his mates, too, but it's no use. 

Their driver pulls into Zayn's pub, Dusk, a heavily popular club amongst singers. Louis remembers when he first opened the building, standing right beside his friend, the raven haired man wearing a wide smile, enthused. Four years later, his business is going strong, having celebrities appearances twice a week. Louis' band is a regular, usually turning up after their shows. Louis pushes the door open, holding it for his mates, greeted by loud R&B.  

"I'm going to get a drink. You guys?" 

Oli points his thumb to the restroom, then making a motion to his nose. 

Louis sighs. "You know Zayn doesn't like drugs at the club." 

The man shrugs. "What does he expect? It's a club. C'mon, Cal." Louis shakes his head at the two and walks to the bar, asking for a whisky. The pub is dark, from where he sits he can see people sat in the small diner in front of the stage. Louis remembers doing gigs here before they took off 'big'. He used to be high most of the time to calm his nerves, but he can still picture those nights. Can see himself up on that stage, shirt thrown over his shoulder and singing into the microphone. 

Zayn taps on his shoulder, surprising him. "Oh, hey." 

"You don't sound too happy to see me." He says, taking a seat on the stool beside him.

Louis chuckles. "Sorry, but I just came back from the venue. 'M tired." 

His friend nods understandingly. "That's fine. I came by cause I knew you'd be here." Louis smiles, the first one he's had since he left their concert. He swings an arm around Zayn's shoulder. "Look at you getting sappy."

"Oi, shut up," They sit in silence for awhile until Zayn speaks again. "You know, I was hoping you'd be here tonight. I've got this girl singing here since last week and she's really good– I was thinking that maybe you could give it a look." 

Louis purses his lips. "I don't really help people with that sort of thing.." 

"Man, trust me. She writes and sings music I haven't heard before. It's.. luring, and she's doing it for a good cause." 

"And the cause?" Louis questions, bringing the neck of the bottle to his lips. 

"She's transgender. Looking to get a surgery for a vagina or summat, it's fucking expensive. She told me the surgeon she's supposed to be seeing costs over $25,000."