Chapter 22: Mercy

What the hell was that all about?

That question circled Erin's mind as she walked through the castle, leaving the tower behind her and making for the ground floor. Her conversation with Thomas struck her as stranger and stranger the more she thought about it. He'd wanted to confide in her about his psychological problems—well, fine. It wasn't too uncommon to do so with someone you'd known for a long time, estranged or not. But some of the comments he'd made out of nowhere, about friends and feeling like a god, worried Erin immensely.

She couldn't shake the fear she'd briefly felt when she'd realised Thomas could've pushed her off the tower easily. She could've fallen down, down, down. A maddening descent like the one into the dungeon until she'd touch the ground and her neck would snap, her bones would break with nauseating snaps and a rapidly-growing puddle of blood would dye greenish-yellow grass red.

She'd be buried with the knights and become the fourth cross in the row.

An unpleasant thought. A disturbing thought. Was it truly hers or not? She thought she heard chuckling somewhere in the darkest depths of her mind, but couldn't tell if it was real or her imagination. She never seemed able to tell these days.

Either way, she told herself Thomas was acting weird, yes, but he would never truly hurt her. Or Jason, or anyone, for that matter, not physically.  Thomas wasn't a monster. Though he didn't seem to be above emotional abuse lately; Erin grimly recalled his interaction with Jason before he'd taken her up the tower, his rude exclusion of his friend for no apparent reason. Thomas had hurt Jason's feelings and hadn't even shown remorse.

That seemed extreme, even for him. People changed, Erin understood that. But this much? How much of a toll had Thomas' mental problems really taken on him?

As Erin exited the castle, slamming the door shut behind her as if it would physically hurt the building and gaining a peculiar satisfaction from the action, she decided she didn't want to think about Thomas anymore. Her conviction she owed Jason an apology grew stronger than ever. He'd said he'd be by the river if anyone needed him. Erin hoped he'd taken a peaceful moment to relax, especially after all that had transpired this morning, and headed for the river herself. She'd apologise and keep Jason company if he didn't mind her presence, and if he did mind, she'd respect his wishes and leave him alone.

That was the least she could do for him.

By the time she reached the water, the sun had mercilessly drenched her in sweat. Forgot sunscreen again, she scolded herself, wondering how long it would take for her face and limbs to get sunburnt if she stayed out unprotected. But she wouldn't go back, not now that she'd seen Jason sitting in the river in his swimming trunks, building a small dam with a variety of rocks and stones. Going back would be running away and she wasn't sure she could convince herself to return again if she left now.

Jason looked up at her when she came to a halt next to him. He raised his eyebrows questioningly, asking her why she'd come without saying a word.

Erin blanked and glanced around like an idiot. "Do you have any sunscreen here?" she finally asked, forcing the question out. How else could she begin? There was so much, and at the same time far too little, to say.

Her friend shook his head. "I'm black. I don't turn into a lobster like you when I stay in the sun for a while."

"What about skin cancer?"

Jason shrugged and waved the concern away. "I'm still young. The sun won't kill me just yet."

Their short conversation died as the two of them studied each other, both trying to figure out what their next move would be. Erin thought she saw a shadowy suspicion, a hint of irritation hidden behind the light in Jason's eyes.