30 | The Doorbell Rang Again

I took a deep breath

I took a deep breath. Jimin would be back. I suddenly felt so much better. I had plenty to do to keep myself busy while I waited. A shower was definitely first on the agenda. I sniffed my shoulders as I undressed, but I couldn't smell anything but the brine and seaweed scent of the ocean.  I wondered what Jimin had meant about me smelling bad.

When I was cleaned up, I went back to the kitchen. I couldn't see any signs that Jaewoo had eaten recently, and he would probably be hungry when he got back. I hummed tunelessly to myself as I moved around the kitchen.

While Thursday's casserole rotated in the microwave, I made up the couch with sheets and an old pillow. Jimin wouldn't need it, but Jaewoo would need to see it.

I was careful not to watch the time. There was no reason to start myself panicking; Jimin had promised.

I hurried through my dinner, not tasting it—just feeling the ache as it slid down my raw throat

I hurried through my dinner, not tasting it—just feeling the ache as it slid down my raw throat. Mostly I was thirsty; I must have drunk a half gallon of water by the time I was finished. All the salt in my system had dehydrated me.

I went to go try to watch TV while I waited.

Jimin was already there, sitting on his improvised bed. His eyes were a liquid butterscotch. He smiled and patted the pillow. "Thanks."

"You're early," I said, elated.

I sat down next to him and leaned my head on his shoulder. He put his cold arms around me and sighed.

"Kook. What are we going to do with you?"

"I don't know," I admitted. "I really have been trying my hardest."

"I believe you."

It was silent.

"Does—does he..." I took a deep breath. It was harder to say his name out loud, even though I was able to think it now. "Does Taehyung know you're here?" I couldn't help asking. It was my pain, after all. I'd deal with it when he was gone, I promised myself, and felt sick at the thought.

"No."

There was only one way that could be true. "He's not with Namjoon and Seokjin?"

"He checks in every few months."