Chapter 35: A Moment of Distress

As Michael kept an eye on Sheldon and Missy by the chicken coop, he noticed Sheldon in the corner, clearly struggling with a panic attack triggered by his fear of chickens. Michael felt conflicted; he wanted to help but also didn't want to intrude, knowing that Sheldon needed space to cope with his anxiety.

However, his focus shifted when he looked towards George, who was far away doing yardwork. The admiration in Michael's eyes was evident as he watched George with a sense of warmth and love. Seeing George in his element, taking care of their home and family, filled Michael's heart with gratitude and a renewed sense of love for the man he was about to marry.

In that moment of admiration, Michael lost sight of Sheldon and Missy for a brief moment. When he looked back, Sheldon was gone, and Missy appeared traumatized.

Immediately concerned, Michael rushed over to Missy, asking what had happened. Missy struggled to find the words, her distress evident in her teary eyes and trembling voice.

"It was the chickens," Missy finally managed to say, her voice shaking. "Sheldon had a panic attack, and I couldn't help him. I tried to comfort him, but he ran off."

Feeling a surge of guilt, Michael realized that he had been so caught up in his admiration for George that he had overlooked Sheldon's distress. He had failed to be there for his friend when he needed support the most.

Quickly, Michael went searching for Sheldon, worried about his well-being. He found him huddled in a quiet corner, still trying to catch his breath and calm his racing heart.

"Sheldon, I'm so sorry," Michael said, kneeling down next to him. "I should have been there for you when you needed help."

Sheldon looked up at Michael, his eyes still filled with anxiety. "It's okay," he managed to say. "I just need a moment."

Michael nodded, giving Sheldon the space he needed while also resolving to be more attentive and supportive in the future.

In the evening, as the sun set, Michael found himself sitting next to George on the porch, a sense of contentment washing over him. He knew that their love story had been marked by challenges, but it was also a story of growth, compassion, and the willingness to be there for each other.