Chapter 3

Adam opened his eyes. He was standing in what looked like some sort of alleyway. A brick building stood before him, but there were no signs indicating what it was. Each step he took closer, the walls seemed to move further away. He let out an annoyed sigh and turned around to see glass doors to what appeared to be a hotel. He looked up, and saw neon signs lit up with "MANDELA Casino/Hotel". He was a bit confused, but intrigued. He pulled on a door handle and to his surprise, it opened. He walked through and into the lobby.
.
Mark was sitting at a high top table in the lobby staring out the windows. It was an overcast day, but with enough light so the sky looked like a bright gray. A doorbell went off, and Mark turned his head to look at the doors. Cesar was making his way over too. A tall blonde male walked through.
.
"Hello!" Cesar energetically greets the new arrival. He waved his arms and then folded them over top of each other. "You must be Adam Murray!" Adam's eyes widened. How the hell did this guy know his name? He started to walk backwards towards the doors. "Uh, how would you know?" Cesar matched his pace and followed. "I was told you'd be coming! But am I wrong? My bad!"

Cesar knew he wasn't wrong. He knew a lot more about this place and everyone in it. But he didn't need people to know that. Adam backed up against the door and tried pushing it open, but it wouldn't budge. He frantically kept trying. "Sorry, but once you're in, you're in! You won't be leaving through those doors. If you do leave, that is!" Cesar playfully chuckled to himself and slapped his knee as if someone told him a joke. Adam watched him with a look of fear, confusion and disgust on his face.

"Dude, just...where am I?" He asked. Cesar composed himself. "You're in the one and only Mandela Casino Hotel! That over there is Mark Heathcliff, and I'm Cesar Torres!"
Cesar was motioning and pointing around so wildly that Adam felt his own energy drain just watching this guy. "Yeah okay that's nice but uh, I'm out of here." Adam turned his back to Cesar and kept trying the door, which still wouldn't budge. "Resilient, are we?" Cesar chuckled.
Adam turned back around and glared at Cesar. "What was your name again? Cesar Salad or someshit? I don't want to be here. I don't even know you or that other guy. So how about you quit playing this stupid game with me and fuck off?"

Cesar put on a straight face and raised his eyebrows. "My my, quite the attitude! How about I show you to your suite and let you chill out?" "What part of 'I don't want to be here' do you not get?!" Mark walked over. "Hey. Don't talk to him like that." He stood beside Cesar and crossed his arms over his chest. Adam sized Mark and copied his stance.

"What, you wanna do something about it?" He shot back. Although Adam was taller than both he and Cesar, Mark was only slightly intimidated. Truth be told, Mark had never fought anyone, nor did he want to, but he was fed up with the way Adam was talking to his friend. Cesar was being his normal, inviting self and if this was how Adam was going to repay him, he could forget it.

Adam continued to glare at Mark. "No fighting! Now really, I'm very happy to show you around, Adam. Or just to your room-" Adam cut Cesar off. "Who said anything about fighting, Torres?"
Cesar furrowed his eyebrows at Adam. "Well the way you two were just talking-" He was cut off again by Ruth. "Is there a problem here, men?"

Everyone turned their attention to Ruth. "Oh! Hehe, our new arrival is just a bit strung up. We're all good!" Cesar said. "Well you let me know if anybody gets out of hand." Ruth replied,
paying close attention to Adam, who softened up at her gaze. He could tell she wasn't just another visitor. Cesar led Adam up to his suite. Mark followed them closely behind.

"Tonight, you'll be joining us down in the casino lobby for card games at 8 o'clock pm. Any questions?" Cesar asked. "Yeah, actually." Adam replied. He had a lot, but there was one burning on his mind. "What's with the suits? Do I have to wear this?" Cesar chuckled and reached into his shirt pocket. He took out a photo of Adam in his normal outfit; the BPS hoodie and blue jeans. Adam looked freaked out.

"You wouldn't show up to a place like this dressed in *that*, would you?" Cesar teased.
"What the-HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET THAT?!" Adam tried to snatch it away from Cesar, but he crunched the photo in his hand. It was turned to nothing but little scraps when he opened his fist again. Adam watched them fall to the floor. "Everyone just looks much nicer in formal wear. Don't you agree, Mark?" Cesar turned to Mark who just shrugged and nodded.
"Well, we'll leave you alone for a bit now. See you at 8! 8pm sharp! Don't forget!" Cesar closed the door.
.
Hours later, Cesar and Mark were in the casino lobby getting ready to play. "Have you seen Adam recently?" Cesar asked. "Not since earlier." "Hm. He must just be running behind...or maybe he forgot! I'm going to go check on him."  Cesar got up and left Mark at the table.
Once he arrived at Adam's door, Cesar knocked. "Oh Adam~! You know what time it is?"

Adam grunted. "What do you want?" "It's eight o'clock! Time for games!" "Count me out." Adam said after a brief pause. "I'm afraid I can't do that, my dear friend!" Adam sighed and came to the door. "I'm not your friend." Cesar returned to the table with Adam. "Pick a chair, any chair!" Adam slumped into the chair that was next to Mark and crossed his arms.

The three played card games and when finished, all got up and left. Cesar caught Adam before he could get too far. "Are you okay, Adam?" He asked the tall blonde. Adam still had his usual unamused expression on his face. "Yeah whatever, I'm fine." He turned to leave again. "How have you been getting settled in and such?" Adam paused. "Why do you ask?"

Cesar was genuinely a bit confused at this reply. "It's just proper hospitality, you know? And it's your first night here. I just want to do what I can to help you, and if you ever need anything, you can come to me, okay?" "...Sure." Adam said flatly. "Oh! And please don't leave your room again until the sun rises again. Did I already tell you that?" "Whatever." He began to leave again.

Once in his room, Adam flopped onto the bed and laid there on his stomach. He sighed. After a few minutes, he got up and wandered around the suite. He even tried to open the window, but it didn't budge.

"Damn it!" He mumbled to himself. Next, he opened the armor to find some pajamas. They still weren't really his style. He took note of how they had the club's card symbol printed on them...just like a chair in one corner of the room. He shrugged it off. He really could care less. Adam got into bed for real this time. He crossed his arms and gazed at the ceiling, thinking and wondering about this place and where Jonah could be.  "Lucky bastard." Adam sighed and rolled over to sleep. But he had no idea.