Chapter Six

The next morning, I stood on a balcony overlooking the gardens as I watched Viserys and Laena promenade together.

"It bothers you, does it not?" I looked up to see, around the corner, Rhaenys sitting on a sofa and talking to Rhaenyra.

"My father is a king. It is his duty to take a new wife and strengthen his line." I heard her reply.

"I did not ask for a lesson in politics. I asked whether this bothers you."

"Laena is your daughter, Princess. Does it bother you?" Rhaenrya asked her pointedly. I listened in, leaving the two heirs to work things out amongst themselves.

"Of course, it does. But I understand the order of things. I'm not sure you do."

"If you mean to elicit some anger from me, you should know that you're failing, Princess."

"Quite the opposite. Whether it's to my daughter or to someone else's, your father will remarry sooner than late. His new wife will produce new heirs, and chances are better than not that one of those will be male. And when that boy comes of age and your father has passed, the men of the realm will expect him to be heir, not you. Because that is the order of things." Rhaenys was kind, even if her words no doubt dug under Rhaenyra's skin like knives.

"When I'm Queen, I will create a new order." Rhaenyra responded powerfully, and I smiled, proud of her strength.

"How I wish that could be, Rhaenyra. But the men of the realm already had their opportunity to appoint a ruling queen at the Great Council and they denied it."

"They denied you, Princess Rhaenys." Rhaenyra replied calmly. "The Queen Who Never Was." But they bent the knee to me and called me heir to the throne." She added firmly.

"Do you remind your father's men of that as you carry their cups?" Rhaenys questioned. "Here is the hard truth, which no one else has the heart to tell you. Men would sooner put the realm to the torch than see a woman ascend the Iron Throne. And your father is no fool."

I watched Rhaenyra walk away from her, and made my approach, moving to stand beside Rhaenys, who was watching her daughter walk with the King.

"I respect you." I said, neither of us looking at the other as we watched the two. "I believe you're right." I said honestly. "But I also believe that it's time for the realm to change. Valar morghulis."

"All men must die." Rhaenys said softly, and I nodded, raising my chin.

"We're not men." I said calmly, before turning and leaving her to watch what the world of men wanted to do to her daughter.

/^\ /^\

I entered the Small Council chambers with Rhaenyra, finding the rest of the Lords already gathered for an emergency session.

The Master of Dragonkeepers stood in the Council chambers, speaking to Viserys in High Valyrian.

"It occurred in the blackness of night, my lords, during the Hour of the Bat." He was saying. "The thief eluded our pursuit."

"How is it possible that a dragon's egg was stolen out from beneath more than fifty Dragonkeepers?" Viserys asked him.

An egg.

Stolen.

Gods have mercy on us all.

"It was Prince Daemon who was the culprit, Your Grace." The Master replied. I blinked. Daemon.