Seventeen

Jules

Singapore Race week

Time for the 13 hour flight to Singapore. Jules finds herself surrounded by other members of the Mclaren team in the airport, all hoping to head over a few days early and get past the jetlag.

Penelope is noticeably absent, despite the fact they always travel together on race weekends. Jules has noticed that her friend is becoming somewhat distant and she can't help but feel a bit hurt by her behavior. She has been trying not to let it affect her, but she can't help but wonder if she's done something to upset her.

Whilst she is waiting for her gate, she decides to give Penelope a call.

"Hey P, where are you? I thought you were getting the 8pm flight tonight with me?" Jules tries to hide her disappointment.

"Oh did I not mention it? Sorry Jules, the team changed my flight and I'm not heading out until tomorrow." Penelope replies.

Jules gently says, "I've noticed that you've been a little distant lately. Is everything okay?"

Penelope's voice seems surprised but quickly recovers, "Oh, yeah, everything's fine," she says, but her tone betrays a hint of hesitation.

Jules can tell that something is bothering her friend, and she wants to be there for her, "If there's anything on your mind, you know you can talk to me, right?" Jules offers.

Penelope sighs, "Honestly, I've just been feeling a bit overwhelmed with work lately," she admits. "There's been a lot going on, stuff I don't agree with but its just the nature of the job. I guess I've been trying to handle it all on my own."

Jules replies, understanding. "I get it," she says. "But you don't have to go through it alone. We're a team, remember? You can always count on me for support."

Penelope's tone is still gloomy but her words say the opposite. "Yeah, thanks, Jules. I really appreciate that," she says. "I guess I've just been caught up in everything and haven't been communicating well. I'll see you in Singapore okay? Sorry about the long flight without me."

Jules, wanting to support and reassure her friend, answers casually. "It's okay," she says. "We all have our moments. Just remember, I'm here for you whenever you need someone to talk to."

They say their goodbyes, Jules still senses there is something bothering Penelope but decides to drop it for now.

She spots Oscar as they are waiting to board, they find themselves chatting and laughing, enjoying each other's company. They discuss how Jules is settling in at McLaren and even share some personal stories.

Jules tried her best to steer the conversation away from Lando when Oscar asked about their history. She wants to avoid delving into her complicated feelings for Lando, especially since she is still trying to figure things out herself. At the same time, she doesn't want to offend Oscar or lie to him.

With a half-smile, Jules replies, "Well, Lando and I met each other earlier in the summer. We got close, but things changed, and now we're just strangers I guess. It's... complicated."

Oscar nods understandingly. "Well, that makes sense. Every time you are around, I've noticed he's on edge. I take it that it didn't end well?

Jules sighs, "Yeah, you could say that, it didn't really end at all. And then I got this job and we saw each other again. Now, I guess we're trying to figure out where we stand. It's been tough, especially since he has Amelia now and he seems to think I'm sleeping with Max. Which I'm not by the way."

Oscar raises an eyebrow, sensing that there is more to the story. "Complicated indeed huh? I won't pry, but it sounds like there's more to it."

"Thanks, Oscar. I appreciate that." Jules smiles gratefully at her new friend. She is glad to have someone like him to confide in, even if she wasn't ready to share all the details about her past with Lando.