01 | stolen painting

"I'm at the floor. Tell me which room it is placed in." Heeseung whispered, his back pressed to the wall at he looked down the corridor, half a dozen of doors on the either side of the path.

He was in a museum's basement, trying to steal a small painting which had it's values in millions in the black market along with his trusted partner. As soon as Heeseung had heard that the owner of the museum had managed to get his hands on it, he knew he had to steal it before it was displayed for the public.

"Uh, you have to go through all of them." He heard his friend speak nervously over the phone, followed by the sound of shuffling papers as it seemed that he tried to go through all the maps that were traced again to be sure of the helpless situation.

"What do you mean by go through all of them, Jake?!" Heeseung whisper shouted, looking around to see if anyone was coming through which was unlikely since there was a huge anniversary party going on upstairs as the museum had turned fifty years old.

They had planned this burglary since weeks and there was no way he would just give up when he's so close to it, especially after all the effort that had been put in scouting the premises multiple times under cover, taking necessary images to cover up the CCTV on the D-day and whatnot.

"I meant what I said, man. These fuckers haven't installed any camera in those rooms; perhaps they ran out of money to seal and strengthen the security to just the entrance of the floor unlike all the floors above." His remark made a chuckle leave Heeseung's lips rather inappropriate in the situation but the latter know very well how particular his friend was about these things.

Of course, after breaking through multiple servers and security, he had achieved a level where he could practically predict the entire security system package that might be used just by knowing the pattern. For this one, his predictions perhaps was not accurate not because it was even better, just because his expectation was too high.

Heeseung on the other hand knew better than to involve himself in this, knowing Jake would surely be more suited to this department of their job.

Or burglary, rather.

"I'll start from left." Heeseung muttered, slowly opening the door to check if anyone was inside and whether the painting was in the room. After repeating this process for around three times, he finally found the painting in the fifth room, the loose wrapper revealing a corner of the painting.

"Found it!" he whispered under his breath, followed by an enthusiastic clap and a victorious exclamation from the other side of the line. The painting was quite small, like a size of a full sized notebook. Heeseung unzipped the office bag which was on his back, carefully putting the painting inside and wrapping a piece of cardboard with the same wrapper. "I'm good to go."

"You're now a casual office employee who has an interest in art." Jake stated as the former entered the lift, soon reaching the floor where the event was happening. Instead of going in directly, Heeseung quietly entered into the handicapped washroom to have more space to fix his getup, removing his fake glasses from his bag and putting them on, dusting and flattening the creases of the suit to look neat enough.

"I'm reverting back the cameras to normal." He heard his friend speak from the other side of the line, Heeseung humming in response.

After putting much of his acting skills to use for quite some time, he was now facing the last painting looking as if he was very interested before deciding it was his turn to leave. Just as he was about to turn around, he came face to face with a woman dressed in comfortable formals, startling him.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" She wondered aloud, looking at him with a smile on his face. He nodded in agreement, trying to calm down his racing heart from the sudden surprise. She stood by him for sometime and then left, disappearing into the large crowd. Without sparing any moment and noticing his chance to escape, Heeseung took a step away from the display when as if right on cue the lights went out, causing the audience to gasp in surprise. Just when some people put their hands in pockets to shine their phone's torch, a loud sound was heard, resonating a gunshot.

Chaos erupted in the dark museum, the air filled with screams of people and breaking of glasses as people pushed around each other. Heeseung felt like he was being mobbed, trying his level best to escape from the main door. Soon after much efforts, he got out of the main door along with dozen of other people who tried to escape afraid that they would be the one to get shot next.

"Look ahead, I'm right here." He heard Jake speak, after which he saw his friend waving his hand in the air while sitting in a car. "What happened in there?" He asked as soon as Heeseung sat down on the passenger's seat, staring at the crowd scurrying away as far as possible from the building.

"Somebody probably had the same idea as us but weren't too lowkey about it." Heeseung replied as Jake stepped on the gas, driving away from the spot.

Heeseung looked out of his window and noticed the same woman whom he had met before the lights went out opening the door of a cab which had stopped near the museum, getting into it hurriedly. He spotted multiple people doing the same, their expressions of that of pure terror and panic.

"Did you see someone who seemed like they were there to steal though? Like, you know that expression when they are there to steal something? All sneaky." Jake inquired, squinting his eyes to provide a visual hint to his question as he drove past the buildings. Heeseung laughed at his question, shaking his head.

"No, I didn't find anyone like that."

━━━━━(🍂)━━━━━

"Oh well, the painting was stolen alright." A very unhelpful comment was made by Heeseung's friend as the older male frantically searched his bag, trying to find the painting that was stolen.

Well, the stolen painting that he stole was unfortunately, stolen from him again.

They were back at their own place and had decided to take a look at the painting, only to see it was missing from it's place.

"I swear Jake, I had kept it right here!" Heeseung exclaimed, emptying out all the contents in his bag when a notebook fell out of it on the table. He picked it up and examined it, only to see all it's pages were empty or rather, it was a new one.

"Did you feel that someone was messing with your bag when the lights went out?" Jake asked, his hands placed on his hips as he stared at the scattered contents on the table.

"I wouldn't know, Jake. I was literally pushed around in the... crowd..." Heeseung paused, trailing away as realisation hit him.

Someone had managed to sneak up to him during the chaos and skillfully take out the painting without making him alert.

Oh dear God.

"You got your answer." Jake shrugged, walking out of the room, disheartened after seeing their weeks worth of effort washed down the drain.

"We just have to wait till the painting is sold. Then only we can find out who did it."