03 | new friend

The three entered the apartment, or say Bitna's 'headquarters'. There was no such commodity as a television or a coffee table. Rather there was a big sofa, a dinning table that others use to eat there meals with papers scattered over them, a soft board right above it with big maps and pictures of artifacts; the recent painting which they stole being one of them.

"Sorry for the mess, I usually don't get visitors." She apologised, motioning towards the couch for them to sit and went inside to another room. Right after she disappeared, Jake stood up, scanning the papers and the photos put up on the softboard. 

"Impressive." Heeseung heard him mutter, causing the former to join his friend. A world map was put up right in the center, markings all over it almost in every other country. Under each picture, the place where the artifacts' were kept was written, some of them being struck off.

"Curious about my work?" A voice came from behind them, making both of them turn around to come in face to face with the person whose work they were admiring.

"Do you work alone?" Heeseung asked, his eyes following her as she placed a briefcase on the sofa. Bitna nodded in agreement, handing each of them a drink smelling strongly of oranges.

"How do I know this is not spiked?" Jake questioned, eyeing Bitna.

"This place actually belongs to my friend. He would not want to be involved in another murder case, to answer your question." She casually looked at Jake right after which he quickly kept his drink down, muttering that he was allergic to orange under his breath.

"So you work here? Wouldn't you get caught if someone sees this entire thing?" Heeseung pointed at the huge board in front of him. Bitna shook her head, a chuckle spilling out from her.

"Its usually hung up inside. I put it here yesterday for cleaning the room." She stated, pointing to another room inside.

"Cleaning what? The bloody mess your friend created?" Bitna stared at Heeseung and burst out into peals of laughter after processing his question for a hot second. Jake earned a questioning look from his friend and the two stared at her, bewildered.

"It was a joke, oh god. I bought this off from an old couple who wanted to move to another country." Bitna gasped for air, finding the whole situation rather very funny. "I just said the whole murderer thing to make you believe this is not drugged." She stated, pouring some of Jake's drink into a glass she had got for herself, drinking it. "See? I'm very alive." She said, shrugging her shoulders.

"The money. I think we're forgetting why we are here." Heeseung interrupted, trying to get the attention on the main motive on the meeting which was suddenly diverted to whether the orange juice was spiked and Bitna was friends with a serial killer.

"Right, I'll be back." Bitna raised her index finger and turned around on her heels, hurrying back inside. On seeing her disappear into one of the room, Jake let out a deep sigh, eyeing the now-half-empty glass that stood on the table.

"All this talking made me kind of thirsty." He mumbled, picking up his glass and giving into the temptation to drink its contents, Heeseung breaking out into chuckles in effect.

━━━━━(🍂)━━━━━

"Well, this is more than enough to fund our next target." Heeseung declared, staring inside the bag he was handed by Bitna after the two of them bid farewell and had reached their own apartment. The sight of crisp bills made him wonder if she had split the money rather too generously or it had been some time since he had seen that much amount— specifically in cash.

"Easily. It can buy us a good vacation too." Jake commented sprawled out in the grey sofa, making himself comfortable on its soft cushions. Heeseung hummed in response, picking up the bag and carrying it inside a room too keep it safely.

Later, as they sat at the dining table, plates of hastily prepared noodles before them, Jake looked up. His expression shifted—an odd mix of realisation and curiosity.

"Did you notice that some of the pictures on her board were of the artifacts of the same dynasty we have stolen in the past?" He asked as Heeseung chewed on mouthful of food, nodding his head in response. "I saw one statue  on the board which I feel I've seen somewhere." Jake added, making Heeseung stop in his actions.

"Wait, now that I think of it, I think that too." He confirmed, swallowing his food hurriedly in order to talk further. "Was it the same one we saw at Daeseong's place that day he flaunted his collection— the jewelry box from the same dynasty? The day on which he hinted at wanting more antiques like it, given if we could find more."

"Yes! Exactly!" Jake exclaimed, getting so hyped over the fact that the spoon flew out of his hand, making a loud clattering sound as it made contact with the floor. Both of them ignored the small mess, too interested over idea which was perhaps just a mere coincidence.