Chapter 3

Rio

The engine rumbles as I pull into the parking lot, struggling to make it over the speed hump. The streets are deserted — as they should be at this time of night. The complex is dark, only illuminated by the few apartments with their lights still on. I know mine will be one of them.

"Are you all good going back to yours?" I turn to Mason. His head is resting against the seat, struggling to keep his eyes open.

"Yeah, man," he mumbles. "Are you?"

"I'll be good," I nod.

"Alright. Thanks for today, man. You've always got my back."

"You know it."

"I still can't believe Jack," he tells me. "That dude is such a fucking prick — he just left her there. He wasn't even worried."

"I know, it's fucking pathetic."

"It gets under my skin, man. It really fucking does."

Mason is sensitive to these things — guys not treating their girls right. He saw it play out with his parents in the worst possible way.

"You did the right thing at least," I assure him. "I'm sure Isaiah appreciates it, too."

"Yeah, he's probably pissed at Jack too."

"It's hard not to be."

"Right?!" he laughs.

"Will you be alright tonight?

"Yeah, man. I'll be fine. It's just... shitty."

"You miss her?"

"Always," he purses his lips. He doesn't like talking about it, but I know it still bothers him. Now definitely isn't the time to unpack it, though.

"I'll see you at the gym tomorrow?"

"Sure thing. See you then, bro."

"See ya."

He steps out of the car, swinging the door shut behind him. I wait a moment, making sure he gets into the building without hassle. Mason and I have lived in this compound for as long as we can remember. We met right out the front, under the metal basketball hoop. We would spend hours a day there — every morning and all night. We'd be there right after the school bell rang. It was far better than going home. We spent years like that — just the two of us, shooting hoods out front. The constant dribbling would drive our neighbours nuts, but nobody complained. It was better than the sounds of gunshots.

Mason should've just spent the night at Isaiah's and saved himself the trip back. It would've been so much easier. Campus is over an hour away. They just didn't want to risk Jack finding out. I don't know why. He wasn't even interested in helping his girl out tonight, so I doubt he'll be checking in with her in the morning.

I would've happily driven back to campus to drop Mason off at his dorm, but he declined. He had to help his dad out tomorrow, he said, but I think it had more to do with helping me. We both know where Jack got that fentanyl. It's the entire reason why I don't live on campus. It was never on the cards for me. My brother would've exploited it. He'd have me dealing out of there 24/7. He'd deliver box after box of pills, just to force me to get rid of them. It's far too risky. I can't keep drugs on campus. I can't be caught anywhere near drugs. I'd lose my scholarship in an instant. I'm already risking it by dealing at parties. I'd rather sleep in my car than do any more for him.

I reach behind my seat, stuffing the loose cash into my gym bag. Isaiah must've spotted it when he was back there, but he didn't comment on it. I suppose he shouldn't be surprised. He knows what I do.