Letter #2 - Under the fairy lights you called stars

Dear Someone,

Do you remember that day when we had our farewell party with our friend who will be away for a long time? She used to tease me about you. They used to tease you about her. It was all what we had, the teasing and gentleness combined with good friends and time. I never knew then that those were those one of the memories that I will fondly remember now.

I remember that day well. I thought I couldn't make it to her party. It was a farewell and a birthday celebration. I was at school too busy with requirements that I had to catch up too. It was my habit to put off things. You used to scold me that I should get my shit together. And I always tell you, I can handle myself just fine. You go on about my procrastination and I defend myself by saying I have better grades than you. It was always an easy banter. I had finished my requirements by mid afternoon. The school year was almost ending. The classrooms were almost empty. I could only hear the faint sounds of laughing, chatter, footsteps and shuffles of books. The world seemed to be bit more quiet now. The only place that really wanted to be in. The only place that I could see you sleeping next to my desk. Your one of the most stubborn person I have the misfortune to meet. You insisted to wait on me so that we can go to the party together. You really didn't have to do that. You always annoyed me by your stubbornness. You won't even budge. And I learned by then that you will always look after your friends. After all, I was your friend. Friend. I was only that. And there you were, breathing softly. Even when you close your eyes, there is still kindness in them. Your thick lashes fluttering as you wake. And like dear caught by a headlight, I panicked and looked away. But it wouldn't take long for me to recover and feign an annoyed expression. You had that bewildered expression and asked me what was bothering me. I lied and made up an excuse of how tired I was and the banter begins of how I should stop procrastinating.

I was a liar and a procrastinator.

We had fun in that party, eh? That time we watched our friends threw the birthday girl to the pool with a petrified expression. You almost threw me but instead you were the one being thrown. You look stupid when you're drunk. By the way, I still kept that photo of you being drunk. You looked like an idiot draping you arm around my shoulder. Do you remember what we talked about when it was taken? Probably not.

We were sitting by the bench under a tree. The tree was covered by fairy lights. You looked up and said, those stars are ridiculously close and they were pretty. You said I was pretty like them. And just like them I was ridiculously closel to you. You uttered those words with slurred sentences. I almost believed. But those kind eyes I saw that afternoon was not there, instead they were glassy and sleepy. So instead of believing some fairy tale ending that day, I snapped out of it. I let you lay your head in my lap. Your eyes closed just like that afternoon under the lights that you called stars.

Thinking about it now, was I something you that time? Because the next day when I told you about it. For second there, I thought I would get my answer. You looked like you remember something. You saw that ridiculous photo had a and then you laughed. You were talking to me but you never really mentioned anything. Ah, you really are stubborn.

Love,

Annie