Chapter 12 - Volleyball Game

Belly and Conrad had arrived down at the beach while many people had already arrived and the beach was busy. She had exhaled while smiling at Conrad. Busy places was where Belly had thrived most and for Conrad, with football he was very used to big crowds.

"This seems a lot bigger than football games," Conrad said as Belly had nodded.

"Cousins seems to have a lot more people than I had thought before," Belly said as Conrad gently rubbed her back.

"We've got this," Conrad said as Belly saw how Jeremiah and Taylor went to sit down in the crowd.

"Great," Belly said as Conrad saw his brother but also his mother.

"Look there," Conrad said pointing to the mothers as Susannah waved.

"We've got this, Bells, and after this I am killing my brother. Come on. Let's do this," Conrad said as he an Belly were off.

Conrad and Belly had been playing volleyball ever since Belly was 9 years old, and as the time had moved forward both had gotten better and better at all of it. Jeremiah had looked as they had hit another goal and Conrad and Belly did their no touching high five. It was something that annoyed Jeremiah. It handshake where they didn't touch hands. And it didn't matter how hard he had tried, he could never be as close to Belly. Not in that way.

"Goal!"

"Whoa," Conrad said hugging Belly as she smiled.

"We've got this," Conrad said.

"Yeah, let's do this," Belly said as she and Conrad were now up against Steven and Shayla.

The two teams were equally as well. Steven and Shayla worked well together, but Conrad and Belly worked like a well oiled team. The last goal was shot and then they had realized they did it. Team Belly won.

"What! Oh my gosh," Belly said as she fell into Conrad's arms, hugging him.

"We knew this would happen, didn't we?" Taylor asked Jeremiah as he looked over at his brother and Belly celebrating.

"They've been doing this together for many years. In Cousins, they used to play for hours without end. So, no, I'm not surprised that they won," Jeremiah said.

"We did it," Belly said as she pulled away from Conrad.

"I knew you would," Conrad said.

"We did it together. Thank you," Belly said.

"What did Jeremiah do, belly?" Conrad had asked and Belly knew it was for the last time that he asked her.

"At the beach party he confessed his romantic feelings for me, and the morning of the 4th he tried to kiss me, but I shoved him away," Belly said as Conrad looked over at his brother.

"Don't, it's okay," Belly said.

"Except it isn't. Because you were in a state," Conrad said.