Chapter Four: The Past Resurfaces

Y/n L/n's first day of University was a mixed bag, starting in an extremely embarrassing fashion due to his lack of decent Japanese language skills, but quickly took a turn for the better as he made a friend in the unlikeliest of fashions. A girl approached him as unbelievable as that sounds. They quickly hit it off and became friends very quickly, much to the dismay of many of his classmates. However, is this girl to be trusted? Or is she one of the many hidden dangers that Y/n is ignorant about? Will Y/n continue to be blissfully ignorant of the true nature of his situation or will he finally learn what's going on? Read to find out!

______

(Quick Author's Note before we begin: I changed the ending of the last chapter so those who were the first to read it would be advised to read back the ending just so this chapter makes more sense. That is all, onto the story!)

Y/n pov:

Due to today being a holiday in Japan, I luckily had the day off from University. I never was a fan of school, I mean I knew how important and necessary getting an education was but I hated attending school. I cried all the time whenever I was dropped off as a kid at kindergarten, and I cried inside whenever I had to attend high school. Perhaps that was why I became such a coward. Nevertheless, I had the day off so I wasn't going to think about school.

I needed to find something to do.

Laying in bed listening to my current favorite song, "Let It Happen" by "Tame Impala", I began to ponder on how I should spend my newfound time. A sudden realization hit me, I hadn't explored my house much. I mean I'd only become acquainted with my room and the living room but other than that, I felt like a stranger in my own home. That needed to be changed.

Getting up, I began to make my way upstairs. It felt like the place was decaying on the inside, the steps squeaked as I walked upstairs, a cry to be fixed but I had neither the money to pay a carpenter and neither the expertise to do it myself, so I carefully threaded my steps up the stairs.

Upon reaching upstairs, an unnerving feeling immediately hit me as if someone else was in my home, I felt the need to turn around even with my gut telling me not to. Slowly turning around, I could see the faintest picture of what seemed to be a female figure.

"Hello?" I called out as I felt the hairs on my skin rising.

I received no answer, however, as the figure began to make her way to the storage room. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, there was no way ghosts were real... right?

I knew as stupid as this might sound, that I needed to follow her. It was as if she was guiding me to the storage room so ignoring all the red flags I began to make my way towards the storage room. The more I ventured across the home, the more I began to notice how run-down the interior was.

It was as if it hadn't been used in decades.

Reaching the storage room which was locked, I breathed in. Comparing all the reasons I should open the door, to the reasons I should just turn back, there was only one sensible choice.

But as they say, curiosity kills the cat.

Deciding against my better judgement for the umpteenth time, I slowly opened the door expecting the worst.

Was this where I was going to die?

Fortunately nothing of the sorts happened as the only thing I could see in the dimly lit storage room was a box labelled "Kayako Saeki's belongings".

"Did you guide me here so I could find this?" I asked out-loud as the blinds suddenly began moving as if to say yes.

Obliging it, I kneeled down and begin to open the box. In it, I immediately came across pictures of what looked like a Japanese woman. It wasn't of the highest resolution but that didn't matter.