Unfiled Chapter III

===============================================================

                                                III. Assistance

===============================================================

        So it turns out that Rina had received the exact same orders as I had, though her branch, Nest, sent a pack of sinners to execute the plan.

        “But I have no intentions of working with them,” Rina complained. “It’s not even a team, just a gathering of strongest fighters in Nest.”

        I nodded, “Yeah, I overheard the call.”

        She shook her head and played with the dual blades beside me. We sat on the compact bench in the sniper mound. Now, I just realized that we were four floors above ground level with a nice view over the city through the light slot. I tapped Kirasoul’s flat side on the ground, ticking a faint rhythm.

        “You didn’t activate or destroy any of the traps down there, did you?” Rina stood up and put on her glasses, grabbing a battered up hardback covered book from the ground. She used the light from a candle to make out the title, then flipped open the cover.

        “Nope,” I said as I stretched my right arm, pulling every muscle and gear within. “How do you plan to kill the pope? By yourself?”

        She flipped to the desired page, then handed me the book. On the left page was a map of the Vatican, filled with her own notes and observations. On the right page listed several tactics and escape routes, completed with a calendar of the Pope’s December plans.

        “It’ll be tough if not impossible,” I concluded, knowing that the chances of her plans succeeding were lower than 3 percent, not factoring luck. “It’s a suicide mission.”

        “I know it’s risky, but-“

        Rina’s voice was cut off as I pulled her urgently away from the slot, where a bullet shot in. Her eyes widened as I pulled her into my arms, then releasing her just as soon as it was over.

        Rina patted her sniper coat. Why she would wear that if she was a dualblader? Blushing, she looked up at me and said “Thank you.”

        I turned away from her and looked at the bullet on the floor to hide my embarrassment. “I guess I’ll take out your pack then.”

        “You don’t have to-” she pulled out her ringing cell, which I snatched from her before she could react.

        “No. Whoever wants to hurt my friends will have to get past me. And that includes you.” I opened the door of the only exit and dropped straight down the ladder while answering the phone.

        “How do you like that?” A male voice crowed.

        I chuckled. “You failed. I suggest you get out of the black van before I catch you.”

        The voice on the other side inhaled sharply. “Who is this?”

        “Leon. Leon the Killer.” I ended the call and tossed the phone back to Rina.

        “You’re going to help me?” Rina brought the dual blades’ hilt together, they locked on contact. A black string dropped out of one of the blade tips, and with a skillful pull, Rina attached it to the other blade tip like a bow. She pressed a hidden button on the bow, and the weapon folded into a wrist guard. I spun and cradled her in my arms before she could react, with a leap we flew pass the walkway of traps.