Paparazzi

"Hey there!
I'm watching you on Jimmy Fallon.
I can't believe he asked you about our morning walks! And that picture of us freezing in the streets?! Jeez, paparazzi drive me crazy.
Looking beautiful as always, by the way!"

Taking a sip of tea from her colourful mug, Jessica Lange texted her friend and colleague Susan Sarandon, while she was relaxing on her couch during a cold January evening.
The two actresses became pretty close after filming back in 2017 "Feud - Bette & Joan", and since then, it happened that sometimes they went out together for a few morning walks.
Paparazzi, however, never gave them peace and they followed the two women for hours hoping to launch scoops of various kinds. Both Susan and Jessica hated it. They never liked to be on the covers of some gossip magazines and always been very jealous of their private lives.

Once the interview from her New York apartment ended, Susan nervously removed the microphone from the lapel of her red jacket, handing it to one of the technicians who were taking care of the connection and when the lights and cameras were turned off, the TV group headed to the exit, shaking the actress's hand in greeting. "Thank you for your time, Miss Sarandon.
Have a nice evening."

Susan closed the door and the first thing she did was undress to wear her pyjamas. She lay her hair in a messy bun and headed to the kitchen for a sip of water. A few minutes passed before she noticed her iPhone screen lighting up. There were a lot of notifications: Instagram, Twitter. Lots of fans who tagged her in posts about the interview and many comments of all kinds. Among the various notifications, after several minutes, she noticed Jessica's message. She was still nervous about those photos posted during the interview, but her friend's words made her smile right away. Tired of a full day working, Susan laid down on her bed and after wearing her glasses started typing.

"Oh Jess! I really have no words.
What the hell is wrong with them?!
And what's so interesting in two pals walking down the streets? I swear, I'll never get it. Not even after a lifetime working in the show business. I'm sorry if this made you feel uncomfortable.

Anyway, how are you? Thanks for the compliments. Well, you should compliment my glam squad ;)!"

In the meantime, Jessica was taking a hot bath. It was her favourite moment of the day, especially when it was so cold outside and she didn't have anything special to do. Her blonde hair covered in water, was touching her neck, while all the scented bubbles surrounded her body. Her phone, set to a jazz music playlist, was resting on the white carpet at the foot of the bathtub. Once she received Susan's message, the notification momentarily interrupted the song she was listening to. The woman opened her eyes and brushed a wet lock from her face as she turned to her iPhone. She dried her hands with a towel that was to her right and took it. Reading Susan's message, she directly decided to call her so as not to create possible misunderstandings.

"Jess! What a surprise! How are you?"

The redhead answered right away with a big smile printed on her face.

"Hey, Susan! I hope I'm not bothering you." Jessica quickly checked the clock on the wall.
"My goodness, it's so late. I'm sorry... I... we can talk tomorrow! I let you rest."

"Jess! It's okay, I'm laying in my bed with my cat reading a freaking book! You are not interrupting anything or bothering me. So, what's up?"

Susan took off her glasses and closed the book on her lap.

"Oh nothing, I just wanted to tell you I'm not feeling uncomfortable for that picture. It's not your fault! It's just... you know how much I hate paparazzi. I mean, I love our job, but shit! I hate when they can't leave us alone when we are minding our business."

As she was talking, the actress ran some water to remove the argan oil mask she'd previously put into the ends of her hair.
Susan couldn't help, but smiled, listening to that sound. During their walks, they often talked about the most disparate things, including Jessica's night routine.

"Jess, are you taking your midnight bath? Am I the one bothering?"

"Oh no! Not at all! Yes, you caught me.
Well, I'm all alone at home and I'm spoiling myself a bit. Hot water filled with bubbles, incense, jazz music, a glass of red wine on the edge of the bathtub..."

Jessica laughed trying to keep things light, while listening to that description, Susan closed her eyes trying to imagine what her colleague was doing.

"Oh my, if you want to spoil me too, I won't say no! Haha!"

The blonde smiled while drinking a sip of her red wine.

"Well, actually, I wanted to invite you for a dinner tomorrow at my place. There will be a few friends of mine from Minnesota who are spending the weekend in New York. I'm sure you'd like them. All women! We'll start at 7 pm"

Jessica clicked on the button to activate the speakerphone and in the meantime she got up in the tub to wrap herself in her long pink powder bathrobe.

"A girls night?! That sounds so nice! Why not! Thanks for inviting me over, Jess. Oh and... don't buy anything to drink. Remember, I'm the one who brings the alcohol! Ha!"

Both the actresses started laughing. They remember very good what happened on set during a dinner full of drinks some years ago.

"I won't, I trust you in alcohol choices. Well, see you tomorrow, then! Goodnight"

"Night, Jess."

Author's space:

Hello everyone!
I can't believe I'm posting again, after all this time. This small chapter is just the beginning, hoping you like it.