Truth or Dare

Susan woke up very late that morning. She didn't sleep well, those pictures of her and Jessica kept scrolling through her mind and she didn't understand why.
They were nothing scandalous.
Just "two pals walking down the streets", as she previously texted to her colleague. However, Twitter - like other social media - was full of posts of people who were crazy for them.

The redhead sat on one of the chair of her kitchen and while drinking her morning coffee, she read a few posts in which she had been tagged:
"Susan and Jessica look like two old lovers who don't want to be discovered!" , "Sarandon and Lange together?! I live for this!", "Lange is eating Susan with her eyes!", "My mommies!", "Sarandon is openly BI and Lange seems to enjoy her company!".

Susan couldn't believe her eyes. How was it possible that based on some
stupid pictures, people could make certain allusions?
She turned off the internet and decided that for the next hours she didn't want to be on social media at all or read other gossip. This whole situation made her so frustrated and she didn't understand why. She was used to paparazzi, gossip, stupid comments, but this time was different and the only thing she needed was a good friend to talk to.

"Hi Gary! How are you?" Susan called one of her closest pals. He had always been there for her, on every occasion.

"My love! How nice to hear from you!
I am great. Daniel surprised me with a weekend in a wonderful hotel for our anniversary, so lots of relax and... sex, of course.
What about you?"

The woman smiled. She was the one who celebrated their wedding last year and she was delighted that her friend had married such a sweet and loving man.
"Say hi to Daniel! I cannot wait to see you two again. I'm fine, but... look, I'll be honest with you. Did you see the pictures that came out of me and Jessica last Friday?"

Nervously, Susan lit a cigarette and placed it between her lips.

"The ones where she doesn't take her eyes off you? Yes, I did. Why?"

Gary blurted out and at his answer, Susan literally went fuchsia all over her face.

"Gary... what are you talking about? Jessica isn't into women and we were simply talking! When you talk with a friend you look at them!"

She tried desperately to understand what he meant.

"Look, I don't know her personally, but if you have the opportunity, try to understand more about this whole situation. If I look at those pictures and I pause on her eyes, I mean... she was totally lost in you."

She gulped. Was it really that obvious?Hearing her best friend saying so, made her even more confused.

"She invited me over tonight. I mean, not only me. It's a girls night. Her friends from Minnesota will be there too."

"That's great, babe. Maybe this can be a way for you to understand something more. Remember that my gay radar never fails!"

Susan burst into a thunderous laugh. She really needed a chat with a dear friend and despite the thousand thoughts filling her mind, it was just what she needed. After saying goodbye to Gary, Susan spent the day peacefully. She ordered Italian for lunch and in the afternoon she went to her trusted wine shop to buy a few bottles for the evening. Some vodka, red wine and liquor.

Around 6 pm she started getting dressed. She chose a black suit with a low-cut white shirt, from which a black lace bralette could be glimpsed. Black boots and a long burgundy coat. The hair was natural. Curly and loose on the shoulders, then covered by a hat matching her coat. Jessica's house was about a half hour away by car, but she preferred to call a cab. That night was quite snowy and she didn't want to drive all alone. She took her bag and the envelope containing the bottles to give to her friend and after feeding her pets, she went out.