Chapter 14: The Ambush

The Land of Waves stretched out before Team 7, its mist-shrouded landscape painting an eerie picture. Tazuna, the bridge builder they were tasked to protect, led the way with hurried steps. As they ventured deeper into the unfamiliar territory, tension hung in the air like a storm about to break.

Naruto's eyes darted around nervously, his senses on high alert. Sakura walked beside Tazuna, her protective instincts ever at the ready. Sasuke and (Y/n) followed closely, each shinobi prepared to react at a moment's notice. Kakashi, as ever, remained enigmatic and observant, his lone visible eye scanning their surroundings.

The path ahead seemed tranquil, but Team 7's collective experience had taught them that danger often lurked in the shadows. Their vigilance was soon put to the test.

Without warning, they were ambushed. Hidden figures emerged from the dense foliage, their menacing presence shrouded in mystery. Naruto froze in his tracks, panic flashing in his eyes.

Sakura reacted swiftly, placing herself in front of Tazuna to shield him. "Stay back!"

Before anyone could react, Kakashi was seemingly ripped to pieces by chains that materialized out of nowhere. Gasps of horror filled the air as his body fell to the ground in a gruesome heap.

Sasuke and (Y/n) sprang into action. Sasuke, with a determination that rivaled his Uchiha blood, threw himself into the fray. His strikes, although lacking the Sharingan's finesse, were precise and deadly.

(Y/n), drawing from her training with Rock Lee, unleashed a flurry of taijutsu strikes. Her movements were a blur of speed and precision, delivering powerful blows to their attackers. Her martial prowess was impressive, showcasing her dedication to mastering the art of close combat.

The ambushers were no match for Team 7's skill and teamwork. With sheer determination and coordinated effort, they neutralized the threat. But even as the dust settled, Kakashi remained motionless on the ground, his shredded form a grotesque sight.

"Naruto," Sakura called out, her voice trembling, "check on Kakashi-sensei!"

Naruto approached, his heart pounding with fear. He knelt beside Kakashi's body and, to everyone's shock, saw that it was a substitution jutsu—a decoy of Kakashi. The real Kakashi appeared from the shadows, his expression as composed as ever.

"You... you scared us half to death!" Naruto shouted, a mixture of relief and irritation in his voice.

Kakashi chuckled beneath his mask. "I needed to see who our attackers were and what they wanted."

The ambushers, now incapacitated, were bound and questioned. They revealed that they were rogue ninja hired to assassinate Tazuna, their motives unknown. The information gleaned was meager, leaving Team 7 with more questions than answers.

As they continued their journey, Naruto began to complain of a stinging sensation in his arm. He examined it closely and discovered a small puncture wound oozing a strange, dark substance. Panic flashed in his eyes as he realized he had been poisoned.

Sakura, despite lacking medical jutsu at this stage of her training, moved quickly to assess the situation. "It's a slow-acting poison," she explained, her voice tinged with concern. "We need to find an antidote."

Tazuna, his face pale with worry, finally spoke up. "I... I haven't been completely honest with you. This isn't just a C-rank mission. It's a B-rank mission. The Land of Waves is running out of money, and they hired us to protect me, a bridge builder, from an organization known as the Gatō Company. They'll do anything to stop me from finishing the bridge."

Team 7 exchanged solemn glances. The stakes had just been raised, and Naruto's life hung in the balance. With determination in their hearts and a poisoned comrade to save, they continued their journey into the heart of the Land of Waves, where their true challenge awaited.