Chapter 3

I awoke to the jarring sound of swords clashing together, the noise piercing the peaceful night. My eyes darted around the room, seeking the familiar figure of Gusion, but instead, I glimpsed a shadowy intruder silently moving about. The dim light from flickering torches revealed his face - one of Paxley's underling. The mastermind behind this wicked plan must have ordered them to kill Gusion.

As I peered outside, my fears were confirmed. Shadows danced in the moonlit courtyard, figures locked in combat. There, amidst the silhouettes of warriors, I spotted him - Gusion, his graceful figure dancing between flashes of steel. My heart swelled with both relief and trepidation. I knew he was a master using short swords, but the odds were not in his favor. The assailants outnumbered him, and the darkness concealed their true strength.

I knew I couldn't just stand there, watching helplessly. Gritting my teeth, I slinked along the walls, keeping to the shadows, hoping to find a way to join Gusion. Yet, before I could reach him, one of the assassins broke free from the skirmish and locked eyes with me.

Panic surged through me, and my instinct to flee kicked in. I turned on my heels and sprinted, my feet pounding against the ground as the assassin's malevolent laughter echoed behind me. But as I dashed through the twisting pathways, a looming obstacle emerged in my path - an imposing wall that threatened to cut off my escape.

I hesitated for a moment, contemplating turning back, but the relentless footsteps of my pursuer urged me onward. My heart hammered, and my mind raced to find a way out of this trap. Desperation pushed me to try the only path available, even though it led right toward another assassin, who stood there, smirking at my predicament.

He brandished his sword, a malevolent gleam in his eyes as he prepared to strike. I knew I couldn't hope to match his skill, but I had to do something. As he chanted a spell, enchanting his sword with deadly magic, I quickly scanned my surroundings, searching for anything that could aid me.

A pile of loose soil and small stones nearby caught my attention. Without a second thought, I scooped them up and flung them at the assassin's face, hoping to blind him temporarily. My improvised distraction bought me a precious few seconds, and I made a desperate dash to the side, narrowly evading his lethal swing.

My heart pounded in my ears as I fled, the adrenaline driving me to the limits of my strength. But the chase wasn't over yet. Just as I thought I might escape, a firm grip seized my wrist, bringing me to a staggering halt. I turned to see Gusion, his body covered in gashes and his clothing stained crimson with blood.

"Gusion!" My voice trembled with concern and relief. "Are you okay?!"

He offered me a weary smile, his strength waning, but his determination undiminished. "Don't worry about me," he gasped.

His words stirred a newfound resolve within me.

The night was long, and the path to safety was treacherous, but we pressed on, fueled by the will to survive and the promise of a brighter dawn. Little did we know that this harrowing escape would only be the beginning of an arduous journey, one that would test our bond and reshape our destinies forever.

We dashed through the night, adrenaline coursing through our veins as we put as much distance as possible between ourselves and the abandon castle. Gusion, with his remarkable skills as an assassin, made certain that the relentless pursuer had been left far behind. My lungs burned, my legs trembled, and I struggled to catch my breath. Never before had I run for such an extended period, and the exhaustion threatened to overcome me.

With a momentary respite, Gusion leaned against a weathered stone wall, his body drenched in both sweat and the blood of his assailants. His breaths were steady, but I could see the tension in his eyes as he scanned our surroundings for any signs of danger.