Chapter 20: The Man with Two Faces

"At least you're something now."

My stomach sank deeper as Harry and I walked down the long flight of stairs. What if it was Severus? I thought. How could I fight my own godfather? I'll try to make him see reason. But will that work? What if it doesn't?

My brain buzzed with nerve-wrecking and unanswered questions that made me feel sick.

"Ah!" Harry and I reached to our scares that burst with pain.

We were still on the stairs when we spotted someone in the room we just entered, They turned around to look at us, but it wasn't Snape. It wasn't even Voldemort.

It was Quirrell.

"You?!" I yelled and Harry stuttered.

"N-no. It can't be. Snape, he- he was the one-"

"Yes," said Professor Quirrell's face not twitching at all, "does seem like the type doesn't he? Next to him, who would suspect p-p-poor, st-stuttering Professor Quirrell?" He finished off with fake stutters.

"B-but that day... during the Quidditch match, Snape tried to kill us!"

"No, dear boy, I tried to kill you! And trust me, if Snape's cloak hadn't caught fire and broken my eye contact. I would have succeeded. Even with Snape muttering his little counter curse."

"Snape was try to save us?" I asked.

"I knew you were danger to me right from the off, especially after Halloween."

"Then- then you let the troll in!" Harry confronted.

"Very good, Potter, yes. Snape unfortunately, wasn't fooled. While everyone else was running about the dungeon, he went to the third floor to head me off. He, of course, never trusted me again-" pair shot from my right wrist up to my head as Quirrell turned his back at us. "- He rarely left me alone. But he doesn't understand... I'm never alone. Never. Now, what does this mirror do?"

It was only then did I realize what Quirrell was staring at. It was the Mirror of Erised.

"I see what I desire," Quirrell spoke. "I see myself holding the Stone. But how do I get it?"

And to my horror, a voice answered, "Use the kids..."

I looked around, but there was no one in the room other than the three of us. Quirrell spun towards us hand outstretched as he yelled, "Come here, Potters. NOW!"

Legs shaking, Harry and I walked towards the mirror.

"Tell me, what do you see?" he asked. I must look and lie about what I see, that's all.

Quirrell stepped aside as we stood in front of the mirror. Our reflections smiles at us and I saw myself pull a blood-red stone. It winked and passed it to Harry's reflection to its left -my right- and it dropped it into its pocket. I saw Harry move his hand to his own pocket. Somehow -magically- we'd got the Stone.

"What is it? What do you see?" Quirrell said impatiently.

Harry raced me into lying, "W-were shaking hands with Dumbledore, Gryffindor and Slytherin have won the House Cup together."

"He lies..." the voice spoke again and it seemed to come from Quirrell himself, though he wasn't moving his lips.

"Tell the truth!" Quirrell yelled. "What do you see?"

"Let me speak te them..."

"Master, you're not strong enough!"

"I have strength enough for this..."