Episode 2 - Assume I Knew Nothing

“Good morning, beautiful province of Nueva Esperanza! Good morning, the beautiful islands of the Philippines! This is your DJ Love Joaquin on the radio, bringing you the latest news update for today...” I took a deep breath as I lay my head on the board of my study table.

My grandmother’s radio has kept on playing ever since this morning. It’s almost afternoon, and I can’t focus on studying my lessons before the program I’m taking for college—the Bachelor of Elementary Education.

I’m currently inside my room, studying the subjects I’ll soon take in college. I’ll understand it all in advance so that when the time comes, I already know the lessons, and I’ll just familiarize myself with them. Even so, my grandmother’s radio stops me from attaining that goal.

Lola! Could you turn down the volume, please... I’m studying here!” I called upon her but she did not respond.

Maybe she’s asleep while while sitting on her rocking chair again, she falls asleep a lot these days because of the fair weather. The calming breeze comes inside my room while the sun is up to supply a balanced amount of humidity. This is the third time that I’ve experienced it, and it’s been going on for days.

I tried to wear a pair of headphones to distract myself with some upbeat music for studying, but the noise of the radio was so loud enough to pierce through my hearing. I couldn’t do anything about it since my grandmother would get angry if I turned that off without her permission.

Man, I really need to get out of here. I wanted to live independently for college but my parents instead made me take the entrance exam at the local university here in our municipality. It’s so unfair, and I became so jealous of each and everyone I know who’s going out of town for college.

Well, there’s an exception for that; Pio also took the exam with me since his parents don’t want him to leave this town—just like me. We’re even in that aspect, so I’m just glad that someone is accompanying me with all of these dilemmas my parents are giving me every single day.

“Hello, is anyone there?! Dace! Dace!” My eyes widened when someone called me.

I quickly took off my headphones to clarify if someone really called me or if it was just my thoughts. I stood up from sitting on my chair and ran towards the window of my room. I then saw Pio waving at me while he was wearing a smile and was super excited.

I hurried up and ran down the stairs to the living room and I found grandmother there, sleeping peacefully on her rocking chair while listening to her old radio—it’s so loud that it bangs through my ears. I went to it, and I lowered the volume since she was already sleeping.

I then went outside the house to greet Pio; I waved at him when I saw him on the terrace. I’m very much delighted to see him because I’ve been stressed lately, it’s a good thing that he came here to relieve my stress.

“Dace, the results of the entrance exams are out now! I haven’t checked it because I wanted to check it out with you, it’s on the Facebook page of the Sabani Estate Agricultural College!” My eyes widened when I heard him.

“It’s out today?! Oh my gosh!” I ran to him when he pulled his phone out of his pocket.

“Can I connect to your internet? I haven’t loaded yet, so...” I just rolled my eyes, I breathed heavily, and I lent my hands to get his phone.

I typed the password to our home WiFi, and he eventually got connected; after that, I lent the phone back to him. My heart is starting to pound as of the moment as he checks the university’s social media page.

“Here it is!” he exclaimed.

I went closer to Pio to see the results since I left my phone inside my room. Many programs are offered in the university we enrolled in, and we chose to take the Bachelor of Elementary Education because Pio and I wanted to be teachers ever since we were children.