Episode 14 - "Hey, Are You Okay?"

“I got in!” I screamed as I saw the email sent to me about the output that I’d submitted to the COSA Office a day ago. I couldn’t react to anything else than to be happy. I can’t even believe that they’ll choose my short story to be their representing entry for the incoming Alay sa First Year!

“Good for you, we’re going to be together at Saint Xavier’s on Friday!” Karma also blushed out of joy and jumped at me right away.

We were in the hallway and other students from the Education Department were watching us, but we actually didn’t care. Nonetheless, we got in and that’s what’s more important. Karma and I just laughed about the whole thing that we slapped each other’s arms—it’s a common Filipino mannerism.

We just got dismissed from our class. I also just received the email from the COSA that my story passed the evaluation to be eligible to be an entry for the Alay sa First Year. I actually had a bad day, with long quizzes that I somehow aced, though I’m exhausted for the day. Once I received the email, it was like I was recharged to be more enthusiastic.

“Hey, what are you so happy about? Care to share?” I gasped when I heard a familiar voice. I quickly turned around looking unfazed. I trembled as I replied.

“I got in the Short Story Contest for the Alay sa First Year 2023.” I smiled at Arjim, feeling that my heart was beating wildly inside my chest. I don’t understand why I’m feeling this way, but it’s probably because of that past feeling. Even so, I like feeling this way.

“Really? Me, too! I was accepted for the Painting Competition. They’re only accepting a single painter and there’s like... ten of us from different departments, so I was so lucky enough to be picked.” He giggled. I nodded at Arjim and I sighed.

“I’ve felt what you felt, there are twenty-three people who have submitted their entries in the Short Story Contest, yet mine was the one to be picked. I was so overwhelmed, actually.” I gave Arjim a smile.

“Well, I guess we’re both lucky. Can I be with you when that day comes? I never actually tried making friends. You’re the only one I know since we’re from the same high school.” I gulped upon hearing his request, I looked at Karma and I found her look with a hint of curiosity.

“Oh, I forgot to introduce you to Karma. Arjim, this is Karmela Lim, a close friend. You could come with us, and if you want, we would like to watch you paint.” I recommended. Arjim chuckled, but he covered his mouth with the back of his hand.

“I never got the chance to introduce myself properly after what happened last time. And I also would like to thank you for defending Dace.” Karma granted a firm smile.

“It’s a pleasure knowing you, Miss Karmela—” but Karma suddenly stopped him.

“You can call me Karma, Mister...” Arjim then proceeded.

“Call me Arjim, short for Arjim Novicio.” He smiled. Even so, Karma’s reaction paves formality.

“Nice to know you, Arjim.” Karma nodded, and she smiled. She finally got the chance to introduce herself to Arjim properly.

“I should really be going now. I’ve got a train to catch. See you tomorrow, Dace, Karma.” Arjim found his way out.

“It’s okay, see you tomorrow.” I once again gave him a smile, and while giving one, he looked at me, and he nodded with great fulfillment. He then ran down the CoEd Building. But something popped out inside my mind.

“Wait, he’s from San Roque, right? The train lines don’t reach them, so why would he catch a train?” I asked randomly as I frowned.

“What was that?” I heard Karma. I shook my head and smiled.