Chapter 4 - Hide and Seek

Running my hands through my long wavy hair, I look at myself in the mirror and sigh. I decided to wear an old black pantsuit since it's one of the few pieces of clothing that can still fit me.

"Does it look too big?" I ask, spinning around to look at the male sitting on my bed. He stares intently at a packet of crumpled papers in his hand with a scowl on his face. The veins in his hands bulge repulsively as his grip on the papers tighten

"You look fine." He growls without moving an inch. Shifting my weight to one side, my lips pull into a frown, arms wrapping around my small body as if to protect it from his harsh words.

He's not even looking at me.

As if reading my mind, his sharp blue gaze snaps upwards to meet mine. Rising to his feet, he takes my hand in his and kisses my knuckles. I shudder at the intimate contact, allowing him to pull me into his side. Lowering my lids, I begin to relax into his lean body, letting my mind wander slightly.

"Go get dressed, King."

He just chuckled and slipped out of bed to approach me sneakily. I watched him from the corner of my eye as he took my outstretched hand in his big one and leaned forward to press a kiss to my knuckles. I had shuddered when he turned my hand over to kiss my palm, holding me captive with those intense mismatched eyes.

The same eyes that made butterflies appear in my stomach.

"Where did you disappear to just now?"

I snap out of my daze and duck my head, so he won't see the blush beginning to spread over my cheeks. Aiden lets me go and turns back to the messy bed, running a hand over his face with a grunt.

"Honestly, I think your family should shut the fuck up about your weight. Clearly they don't know a thing about health and stamina."

My mother complained about how skinny I had gotten compared to when I left. I hadn't really noticed it until everyone pointed it out, comparing my body to what it was when I came back after permanently moving out almost ten years ago.

Curving an eyebrow upwards, I frown and peer over my shoulder at the slim body I own.

Maybe I should braid my hair for dinner?

"Anyway," He mutters with a dramatic roll of his eyes. "I have some business to attend to in one of the cities so I'll be out late tonight."

Huh?

I whirl around just in time to see Aiden shrug on a shirt and reach for his gear on the floor. His steps are silent from decades of training as he trudges towards the exit, hand reaching for the doorknob. Frosty blue eyes peer over a muscled shoulder into my soul before disappearing behind a barrier made of heavy oak.

It's been a while since he's left me alone to my own misery.

This should be nice.

*** ***

Licking my lips, I adjust my mask to cover my nose. A large hand rests on my head, stroking backwards against my hair. Ducking, I turn to find my father smiling down at me with sad eyes.

"Where are you off to now?"

"Business." I grumble, not bothering to mention the fire message my old friend sent me a few moments ago.

How he caught whiff of my return so quickly is questionable but all the same it'd be nice to finally see a face I can tolerate after being bombarded by my family for the past day. He asked me to head over to Saenlo, a small town on the border of Sin City. Not as dangerous but still shady enough to meet in private. I'm surprised he's even willing to set foot in that place.