Chapter 2 - The 'Go Away' Party

Sitting in my best friend's BMW X6 with the windows rolled down, I smoke my first cigarette in ten years. After growing up with my mother, I hated everything about cigarettes but succumbed to peer pressure. I used nic to feel good for two years before I applied to my job and got recruited. Once joining the S.I.M.D, I quit smoking, a habit I picked up after stepping foot on this soil to make sure my health was top tier. But now I'm done with all of that.

I'd initially resigned from my position two years ago after returning from Obsidian, but withheld my papers when three weeks had passed and I received no word from the realm.

I made it official last month that I would finally retire and leave the base. My boss and closest coworkers were all upset when I handed in my resignation papers, but it needed to be done.

Christian takes a swig of his Heineken beer and blows out a puff of smoke in the shape of a circle. Taking a long drag, I stare at my reflection in the side-view mirror and note how exhausted I look.

I let my hair grow out so it curls around my ear and nape, falling into my face when I don't push it back. I spent over a thousand dollars on tattoos over the past two years getting tattoos that held no importance to this world at all. When I'm not working, I'm at the gym working out, trying (and failing) to destress. Dark sunken circles have begun to surround my eyes from the lack of sleep I've gotten upon returning to this wretched world.

"You good, man?"

I nod my head without looking at the Scottish man. Sighing, I push my hair back and fix my piercing with my tongue and open the door. Tossing the butt of my cigarette to the floor, I step on it and snuff it out before grabbing my suit jacket from the car.

I thought I could last here longer. But this world just isn't for me.

Sure my father visits every month, but that doesn't stop me from missing my other home. Every time I ask about it my father just says the same thing: It's not the same without you. It's the only thing that I can get from him. Yet, he avoids the idea of me going back. Now it's time for me to see for myself. See what has happened since I left two years ago. Find out how she is.

I felt like an asshole for leaving for so long without getting to talk to her. It was only supposed to be a few weeks but when it was time for me to go back, my father materialized in my room saying that it wasn't a good idea. He never told me the reason for extending my stay but I figured that he wasn't ready.

Now I'm thinking otherwise.

Almost two damn years have passed by and I've never been visited by Aszurya. Every time I brought her up in a conversation, my father would quiet down and try to change the subject. When it comes to that female, he's always so suspicious, trying to avoid her in general. If only I could contact another from that realm.

I follow Chris into my home only to be hit with a bunch of confetti and lights. Everyone in the front room yells the same thing all at once: "So Long, Theo!"

I stand still, scowling as confetti rains down around. Glaring over my shoulder, at the man that brought me, I dust the shreds of paper off my shoulders and out of my hair. The brute fails to hide his smirk as he shrugs his shoulders .

I told the fucker not to throw any fucking parties for me.

Walking through the small crowd, I paste on a smile and either hug or shake hands with my coworkers. A blonde head makes its way over and hugs me tightly. I look down to see my girlfriend smiling up at me.

Almost instantly, I know she has something to do with this surprise party too. The only thing I'm surprised about is the fact that the two of them could even stand each other for long enough to plan this behind my back.