Chapter 3: Unspoken Bonds

As Summer and Ryan stood amidst the vibrant blooms of the floral shop, their words wove a playful dance, and the air sizzled with a subtle attraction between them. But fate had other plans, as Ryan's phone rang, interrupting their moment of connection. He excused himself with a sincere smile and answered the call.

"I'm really sorry, Summer," Ryan said as he returned to her side, his eyes clouded with regret. "My grandmother needs me to pick up a girl who's new in town. She can't find her way home or call an Uber, so I have to go pick her up right now."

Summer's heart couldn't help but feel a pang of uncertainty and irritation. She understood the predicament, yet his words seemed to cut deeper than intended. "Some self-sufficient girl, huh? Must be so frustrating that you have to leave right now for some dumb girl," she said, trying to hide her own vulnerability.

Ryan's eyes widened, and he hastened to explain, "yes my grandmother's best friend's granddaughter it is. I just didn't expect this situation to come up."

But her mind raced, feeling that his frustration and annoyance were somehow directed at her, because at some point she knows that it's her he is speaking of and doesn't knows that, he thinks of her as - incapable and self-insufficient. The realization hurt, and she couldn't hold back her anger any longer.

"Who asked you to pick her up? Caroline right? Well she is my grandmother" Summer's voice trembled with emotion, her eyes flashing with a mix of anger and hurt.

Ryan's face softened, and he reached out to touch her arm gently. "Well thankyou for the bouquet and I'll surely call an uber."

The damage had been done, and Summer couldn't bear to stay in the shop any longer. She grabbed her bag and stormed out, feeling the weight of her own insecurities pressing on her chest.

Ryan followed, his voice trailing after her like a gentle breeze, but she was too caught up in her emotions to listen. She walked faster, determined to escape the confusion and hurt that threatened to overwhelm her.

As she walked far, the scenery blurred, and she found herself on a bench overlooking the beauty of nature. Seeking solace, she took out her phone and began capturing the picturesque landscape through her lens. Photography had always been her way of finding peace in chaotic moments.

But her respite was short-lived as a car full of boisterous guys pulled up. Their flattering words only heightened Summer's unease, and she knew she needed to distance herself from them. However, before she could respond, Ryan appeared like a guardian angel, ready to protect her.

As he stepped out of the car, a wave of relief washed over her. He took charge of the situation, securing her bag and offering her a way out. "Get inside," he urged, his voice unwavering.

"No, I am not. I can go on my own," she replied, her stubbornness flaring once more.

But Ryan wouldn't take no for an answer. He knew the danger she faced, and he couldn't let her go alone. "Summer, please. I don't want you to go with them, as long as you don't want it too, so Let me take you home safely."

His concern and care were evident in his eyes, and as their gazes locked, a silent understanding passed between them. Summer felt her walls beginning to crumble, and she finally allowed herself to accept his help.

With a hesitant nod, she relented, knowing deep down that there was more to their connection than she had first perceived. As she stepped into the car with him, she realized that sometimes, the most unexpected bonds are the ones that heal the deepest wounds.

In the chapters ahead, Summer and Ryan would uncover the truths that lay buried in the woods and within themselves. The unspoken bonds of their hearts would guide them on a journey of self-discovery, forgiveness, and a love that would defy all expectations.