Chapter 3: Grandfather?

Lying to Hermione Granger was never one of Draco's strong suits. Thus, he practiced his most effective tactic to lie to her; avoidance.

So, here he is, sitting in Hyde's nursery in Hermione's three-bedroom condo, watching the mural above his crib. Painted bamboo trees sprout from the white trim and charmed pandas dance against the earthy brownish-beige walls. Draco is eternally grateful for all the support Hermione has. Unlike their usual post-bedtime ritual, Draco is not indulging himself in the company of Hermione Granger. The tragedy.

He's standing over Hydrus when he begins to fuss, strong legs kicking out of his swaddle. Draco attempts to coddle him, shushing him as he sticks the pacifier in his mouth. Bloody muggles and their damn good inventions.

The babe rejects the pacifier, face scrunched sourly. His lip quivers, eyes welling with tears.

"Oh, no, buddy," Draco cooes, carrying the boy. He's swaying with him.

Hydrus begins to calm, settling into his arms.

"Ah, that's what you wanted," Draco chuckled, rocking him in his arms.

His eyes shine bright, legs kicking adamantly. A semblance of a smile ghosts on his face.

Draco spots the swaddle in the crib and places it down on his changing table. "Looks like I'm gonna have to figure this bloody thing out."

He lays the blanket out in a diamond and places Hyde in the middle. Experimentally, he flips the bottom corner over his feet then tucks the left corner under his right side.

Hyde yawns up at Draco, eyes fluttering with tiredness.

"Babies are such strange creatures," Draco muses, a smile curling on his lips. He's looking upon the boy with admiration.

A bright light flickers behind him and a loud shutter cries out. Hermione is standing in the doorway, blush to bloom on her freckles cheeks.

Draco raises an eyebrow, tucking the last corner in the swaddle. "I thought I told the paparazzi no flash photography."

The light purple boxy camera loudly spits out a small photo with a white border. Granger shakes the picture back and forth. "Oh, hush now. It's for his baby book. I'm gonna label it, ' The First Time Uncle Draco Swaddled Me Semi-right.' "

"Har, har, Granger." Draco glared at her, patting Hyde's back soothingly.

She placed the photo on Hyde's toddler bookshelf and then started towards the boys. Hermione smiled as her eyes locked on her baby, eyes gleaming with pure joy. "Hello, love. Are you ready to come see Mummy?"

Hydrus yawns again, larger than last time.

"Piss off, you're going to bore my godson half to death woman," Draco snarked playfully.

Hermione swatted his arm. "Let me have my son, or else I'm going to hex your hair red."

Draco pouted, holding out the boy, "Red is an ugly color, you horrific monster!"

She happily accepts, kissing his round cheek. "Hi, my sweet boy. Has Uncle Draco been entertaining you, love?"

Hydrus blinks at his mother, a sign they've accepted as an agreement. Then his eyes slowly drift shut before opening widely again.

"Oh, is someone knackered?" Hermione lulls, rubbing his back lightly.

With one last yawn, his eyes finally close fully. His face falls into the crook of her elbow, breaths falling into an even pace.

Suddenly, a distant click fills the room. Hermione finds Draco smirking and waving a polaroid triumphantly. "Malfoy, why would you-"

"You did it first!" He shouts like a first-year.