Chapter 10: Sometimes All You Need Is Mum

"I bloody miss her, Theo," Draco says, nursing a glass of fire whiskey and aiding his wrenching heart.

Theo sighs annoyed, "Then bloody talk to her! You just sulk and sit here and complain! Do some-fucking-thing about it!"

"I don't need your criticism, Theo. I need a fucking friend!" Draco exclaimed, white-knuckle grip around his crystal-cut whiskey glass.

Theo scoffs at him, eyes cutting into his friend, "I am being your friend when I tell you to go talk to the bloody mother of your child! Stop being a cunt, you daft git! You care for her as she does you!"

Throughout their entire friendship, Draco had never fought with Theo this severely. Usually, Theo was the one who'd make the most sense to Draco. Yet, he knows no avail. For the very first time, Draco was as closed off as his country home, only surrounded by fields and lush with sadness and emptiness. His state perplexed Theo greatly. He'd never seen him care so much about someone he'd just met.

He's gobsmacked, mouth ajar as if searching for something to make its way out. "I do not care for Hermione Granger! I care for my son, Theo!"

Theo snorted, "Are you being serious, or do you require Potter's glasses?"

"My vision is just fine, thank you very much." Draco rolled his eyes, scoffing at his dearest friend. "And Hermione Granger doesn't care for me, git!"

Theo could laugh so hard tears would spring from his eyes. "Then why don't you ask her, huh? Why don't you get the bollocks to ask her, Drake?"

"Fuck this. I'm going to Blaise's. I don't need this tonight, Theo. I need a mate to get pissed with." Draco collects his coat and throws back his drink.

"You brought her up! You miss her, and you won't do a fucking thing about it!" Theo exclaimed, blocking the floo from him. "And you're not going to fucking Blaise's because his wife is pregnant and sleeps at 9 pm! Now, you either stay here and drink your feelings with me, or you go apologize to Hermione. Either way, you are not going home!"

Draco glared at him, halting his actions, "You're bloody annoying."

"No, I'm just right," Theo smirked at his friend, fiddling with his matching glass. "Now, sit."

"I'll take my chances with Granger. Thank you very much." Draco beacons the floo powder and then disappears into the flames.

Theo smirks wider, taking a sip from his glass. "Bloody idiot."

___________

Draco tumbles out of the floo, dusting the soot off his cashmere sweater. "Bloody soot. This is an expensive sweater! What in the seven hells?"

"Is there a reason you're pissed in the parlor, Mr. Malfoy? Because I won't let you see Hydrus like this," Drawls a meek motherly voice.

"Mrs. Granger, what are you doing here?" Draco asked, hooking his coat on the wrack.

"I should be the one asking you that," Hermione's mother replied, patting her grandson's back, burp cloth hung on her shoulder where his head rests.

Draco rights himself from a drunken stumble. "I'm looking for Granger- er, Hermione."

"Hermione's not home, Draco. She's out on the town, having a drink with the lot," Jean explains, wiping spit up away from H's mouth.

Draco's stomach pitted. The lot he is, rather he was a part of. His heart stops at the images of the faceless men senselessly flirting with Hermione. His Hermione, the woman that he would only willingly share with his son.