Chapter I: Snapdragon

"Tía Marissa, is Mama busy at the office?" A little girl in the back seat of a black Volvo, who sits in her pink car seat, looks into the rear view mirror where a pair of eyes meet her's.

"Yes honey. Your mother had an unexpected client to see. She needed me to pick you up since she couldn't." Tía Marissa, as the girl addressed, smiles softly back at her.

"She really wanted to pick you up on the last day of school. Your mom did however, give us some money to go out and grab some drinks. What do you say? Wanna get one and bring her one?"

"Mama would probably want a coffee. Can I get a tea? Please?!" The little girl holds the word please out, emphasizing on the sounding 'e'.

"Of course, Rose. Let's get you and your mom some drinks." Marissa takes a turn at the next stop and turns into the drive-through of the small shop, Serendipity Tea and Brew House and orders a small Dragonfruit tea for Rose, a Vanilla Chocolate Chip Frappuccino for her mother, and a Chocolate Mocha Coffee for herself.

"So how was your day?" asks Tía Marissa.

"Pretty simple. No learning, just parties and lots of crying. I dunno why! We will see each other in a few months anyways!" Rose raises her arms in the air when expressing her thoughts to Marissa.

"Well if I recall, you don't have anyone to cry over so you don't understand the exact emotions they are feeling." Marissa turns and looks over the seat at her Goddaughter.

"I just.. don't like people that much Tía. And no one talks to me anyway!" Rose moves her mid length brunette hair out of her face and looks at a tree by the window with her gorgeous dark chocolate eyes.

"Maybe next year you should try speaking to other kids. You're a very smart young lady." Marisa pulls up to the window and is given the drinks after she's paid. She hands Rose her tea and places the coffees in the cup holders.

"I mean.. Mama doesn't like people all that much. Thank you by the way!" Rose pokes the straw through her tea and begins sipping her drink.

"I remind you that your mother is a Family Lawyer. She has to work with people, whether she likes to or not." Marissa begins to drive forward and in the direction of the office. "Maybe, you should try and be like your mom next year. Try and talk to someone even if you are uncomfortable or scared. If your mom can do it, you can too. You may find someone who interests you and becomes your friend."

Rose shrugs her shoulders and turns to look outside while sipping her tea. The little six-year-old watches the world pass by while becoming lost in thought. She watches the shadows that overfill the road and imagines she's racing a derby horse and jumping the shadows that are now jumps.

Marissa parks the car in the slot labeled "Second Head Attorney" of the five story office building and grabs Rose's backpack as her Goddaughter hops out with her small tea still in hand and is given her backpack by her Godmother. Rose's golden crucifix dangles over her neck as she reaches for Marissa's hand. The two walk inside while the horn sounds that Marissa has locked the car. When the two walk in, men and women dressed in formal business attire cover the first floor. Each one the two pass, they announce a greeting to Rose.

"Good afternoon Rose."

"How are you, Princesa?"

"Ready for summer?"

"Hello Rose!"

To which, Rose responds with high mannerisms of "Good afternoon to you, Mr. Rick. I'm doing quite well Miss Salazar. For office and cabinet time in my mother's office, yes. And hello Tía Ilene!"

Rose runs to the front desk and behind it to give her other aunt a hug.

"Tía! I got tea! Is Mama available?" Rose grabs a lollipop from her bowl and smiles at Ilene.