27

"Where are we going?"

Dominic continued dragging her down the sidewalk. She nearly ran to keep up. "You don't trust me?"

"Of course I trust you. I just...I want to know the plan. Also, what am I supposed to wear tomorrow?"

"That's what we're here to find out. Right now, my father and everyone else thinks you're some helpless source who has gotten dragged into this. Step one is to show him that you are more than a struggling college student."

"Harsh."

Dominic nodded. "But true."

"So, we're shopping for something to wear tomorrow night?"

"We're shopping for your entire wardrobe."

Raelyn stopped short and Crockett, who was taking up the rear nearly walked into her. "Why?"

Dominic pulled her forward. "Trust me. Besides, most of your clothing smell like other men." He slung an arm around her shoulder, pecking the top of her head and breathing in the scent of her hair. "You can smell like you, or you can smell like me. No one else."

"Your brother smelled me, too."

Dominic continued his breakneck pace. "What do you think of him?"

"Gabe? I like him. I'm not sure what he thinks of me, though. He asked me chicken or pasta, and he seemed pretty upset that I said chicken."

Dominic froze and stared for a moment. "Chicken?"

Raelyn glanced at Crockett. "Is this really a big deal?"

Crockett nodded. "He's Italian. It's a huge deal."

"We can fix that," Dominic said. "We're here."

Dominic led them through a metal gate before knocking on a heavy metal door painted white. A few moments later, it creaked open and an older man gazed out. He wore thick-rimmed blue glasses. His eyes flickered over Dominic before landing on Raelyn. She smiled and waved shyly.

Dominic tightened his grip and pulled her inside. He nodded and Crockett waited outside, holding Dane's leash like the dog was poisonous. Dominic, Raelyn, and the older man stepped into an old elevator and the older man closed the gate and pressed the number seven. The elevator must have been over a hundred years old.

The older man pushed Dominic on the shoulder. "You did not tell me she was so beautiful, figlioloi." The elevator stopped and he opened the gate. He then turned to Raelyn and took her arm with both of his hands, leading her down a hall. Raelyn glanced back at Dominic who followed her in.

He led her into a large room with a bay window looking out into the city. Raelyn looked around; it could have been a royal European sitting room. Two women sat in the room with measuring tapes and fabric swatches spread around them with meticulous precision.

The older man led Raelyn to a seat and then went to kiss her hand. Dominic slid his hand between his lips and Raelyn's hands before they could connect. The older man chuckled and let go. He wagged his finger at Dominic. "Non posso crederci, un bruto come te con questa bella ragazza!"

Dominic frowned.

The older man turned to Raelyn. "My name is Giorgio but call me Zio."

Raelyn nodded. "My name is Raelyn, but you can call me...um...well, usually Raelyn, but Rae is okay sometimes."

Zio smiled. "No, I will call you stellina." He clapped his hands. "No time to waste." He looked over to Dominic. "The works?"

Dominic nodded.