Chapter 10

VIVIENNE - PRESENT

Lucienne licked cheese from her fingers, voice all breath and chime like wind through distant branches. "You know what this thing is that Il Cacciatore so treasures."

"At the center of Algernon's collection, there's a bauble so precious to him he's never shown it to anyone. I've never seen it, and neither have others who make their living seeing such things." Sergio's shoulders rose a fraction as if that confession hurt. He cleared his throat. "Bonus for us, he's announced that it will have a star role in the hunt the day after tomorrow. He's a sentimental fellow, but more than that, his reputation is on the line now."

"Won't Algae's reputation still be on the line if he doesn't have anyone to, you know, hunt down at his hunt?" Viv deadpanned.

Sergio produced another shrug. "This hunt's more about the weapon than what it hits. Alessandro's name hasn't been announced, so unless you know of a particular grudge Chase Algernon could have against your husband, he was probably picked because he seems as clever as you, Piccola. Clever servants are a penny a dozen."

Simple but heavy words, and for once he didn't look directly at her as he said them. He pretended to, and perhaps from Lucienne's angle it looked that way. From straight on, though, distance held his eyes, wide and opaque as a forest, glazed in fog and rain. Viv didn't know how to interpret the look. A chill crawled between the fibers of her skin.

She wanted to argue that if no one had seen this bauble, Il Cacciatore could replace it with anything. Instead, she pivoted back, sitting on her feet, spine straight, as different words slipped through her lips. "Logs crumble when they rot. Metal flakes away when it rusts. Why are corrupt humans allowed any strength?"

"Perhaps when it comes to humans, strength is the corruption."

"Then it should be taken away."

"By whom? You? Big plans to change the world, Piccola?"

"We change what we can," Lucienne said. It sounded supportive, but paired with the hand patting the top of Viv's head it landed more like a platitude. "Today, that starts with saving Alessandro and Leandro."

"Actually, it starts with winning a brawl." Sergio tugged on one of several chains leading into his vest pockets, checked the tiny timepiece that emerged, and scrunched his nose. "If we're doing this, we'd better get entered, Miss Chaney."

Lucienne nodded at Viv, who took that as a cue to stand since she occupied the booth's outer seat and her friend couldn't get up until she did. Lucienne's words did not match that assumption. "There is your winning contender, Sergio."

The pirate's smile was the largest it had yet been. "Your mind for strategy truly humbles me."

"What? Wait!" Viv turned back to Lucienne. "You have to enter with me. I need your expertise."

"What expertise? Were these Mischie brawls around last time you were in the Milieu?"

"Yes, but—"

"Then you have more experience than I. Last I was here, they did not yet exist."

Heat gathered in Viv's face. The air wasn't moving. She drew in breath, but it didn't do any good. "No one is going to bet on me."

Sergio picked up both drinks and downed them one after the other. "Exactly, no one would suspect you could win."

"I don't suspect I can win!"

Sergio chuckled again. "The fewer who bet on you, the higher the payout for those who do. We want them to underestimate you, Piccola."

Viv gritted her teeth. "And if I don't win? We need to have a backup plan. At least put Luce in there alongside me." Viv didn't remember much of these brawls—she and Alessandro avoided them—but this wasn't just a matter of losing. "Isn't there a risk of dying in this thing?"