Chapter 8 - You Got To Be Kitten Me

"Alright, before we head off, just remember..."

Fisher sat impatiently waiting for Tooth to explain the route they were taking to King's nest. Tooth had told him another cat lived there as well. They sat on the soft cool grass beyond Tooth's garden, and planned.

"When we see King, don't panic. He just loves chasing. He's just like a kit ya'know." Tooth explained.

"Right." Fisher nodded. As if a kit would chase him down and attack him.

After what seemed forever, Tooth got up and padded towards the lowering moon. Fisher limped after him. They walked in silence until they got closer to the nest.

"So why did King pounce on me and bite me?" Fisher asked, wincing as his hind leg stung, along with his sides and tail.

"Oh, he must have just gotten carried away. Ya' know how careless kits can be." Tooth defended.

"You seem awful ready to take the dog's side." Fisher accused.

"Well, ya' see, when you live 'round here, you get to know everybody." Tooth huffed. "Besides, ya' dunno anybody 'round here, you dunno who's nice and who's not. I do."

Fisher shrugged, wincing again. "I guess. Hey, wait! I just seen something!" Beyond the open roads, sat a small nest which a small bit of light orange flashed in Fisher's vision.

"Probably that cat that lives here." Tooth grunted, continuing to the nest.

"Will it be rude? I mean, we are going to their nest." Fisher fretted.

"Dunno, probably. Just have your claws ready." Tooth told him gruffly, speeding up his pace.

"Hey! Who are you?" A small tan kitten bounced up to Fisher.

Fisher narrowed his eyes, and stared at the small bundle of fur. "I'm looking for a cat who lives in the nest with that old mutt, King." He explained. "You see them?"

"Well, only if I look into a puddle!" The kit let out a purr. "I live with King, my name is Swift."

"Wait, you live with King? A kitten! How is a kitten going to be able to help me find Ember?!" Fisher let out a wail. "Now I'll never find her!"

"Calm down, you gonna get King coming out here, and he gonna cause some trouble." Tooth warned.

Swift shook his tiny head. "Nah, King is going on a walk. My nofurs took him.

"Nofurs?" Fisher asked in confusion. Tooth had been saying that too.

"You know, the ones that live in the nests?" Swift rolled his eyes.

"Housefolk?" Fisher scoffed, baffled. "You call them nofurs?"

"Uh, yeah. Is that a problem?" Swift sniffed.

"Fiesty." Tooth let out a rusty purr.

Swift's eyes gleamed.

"Wait," Fisher interrupted. The orange flashed in the edge of his vision once again. "I seen the orange again." He growled. "What is it?"

"Orange?" Swift tilted his head. "Wait-oh!" His eyes widened. "That's just my new friend." He explained.

"Who..?" Fisher asked, warily. "Another mutt?"

"Who you calling a mutt?"

Fisher whipped around, and in front of him was a cat he had began to think he would never see again. "Ember!"

The she-cat let out a thrilled purr. "Fisher!" She bounded forwards, and nuzzled his ear in welcome. "You found me!"

Swift rolled his eyes. "That's Fisher? Well, I told you if you stayed put he would find you."

Fisher pulled back. "You helped Ember?" He asked.

"Yeah..." Swift meowed, yawning. "So?"

Fisher gave him a small nod. "Thanks, Swift. Ember is a very good friend of mine."

Swift ducked his head. "It's nothing." He mumbled.

Tooth, who had been silent, stepped forward. "Nice to meet you Ember." He meowed.

Ember glanced up. "Oh! Who are you?" She asked politely.

Tooth let out a snort. "I was looking for you, along with Fisher. My name's Tooth." He explained.

Ember brushed her tail across Fisher's flank. "Thanks, Tooth." She purred.

"Now that everyone knows everybody, how about we talk about that mission?" Swift interrupted.

"Mission? Wait, Ember told you?" Fisher asked.

Swift nodded.

Ember let out a small sigh. "I, I kind of told Swift he could come." She confessed.

"A kitten? Making a journey like that?" Fisher asked disbelievingly.

"I'm five moons old!" Swift complained. "Not really a kitten anymore."

"Still. Ember, he could get killed!" Fisher exclaimed.

Ember shook her head. "No, I don't think so. Swift is pretty strong for such a young cat, he even outran King!"

"Really?" Tooth interrupted, shocked. "A little one like you, outran a dog?"

"Well, yeah." Swift purred. "How do you think I got my name?"

Fisher let out a sigh. "If you really think he could make it-"

"Yes! I can!" Swift bounced up and down.

"Ember, if he gets hurt, it's going to be miserable for him." Tooth warned softly.

Ember glanced at the white tom. "I know, but I can't bear to leave him." She confessed.

Tooth glanced at the ground. "I do know a few things about herbs... maybe I could come with you?" He mumbled.

"Tooth! You want to go?" Fisher asked in shock. Right when he adjusted to the old tom's cranky attitude, he kept switching it up on Fisher.

"Well, if you want me to.." Tooth muttered quietly.

"We would love you to come!" Ember purred.

Fisher sighed. "A group of three grown cats, and one kitten. We're unstoppable." He joked.

The others meowed in amused agreement.

"We leave tomorrow." Fisher decided. "Again." He added, glancing at Ember.

Ember snorted.