Reunion

We left the vehicle as soon as possible. Behind which came a horde of transformed inhabitants. Their screams, grunts, and some strange words whose meaning I understood grew louder. The fight was pointless. We'd run out of ammo faster than we could shoot the last of them, and the worst part is that they kept coming. The fight was pointless, all we could do was run. 

- Quick! Meg here! - An old man called from the entrance to the alley.

I obediently followed him. We were running along a fairly wide street. We ran as fast as we could, maneuvering between cardboard boxes, crates of empty bottles and burning garbage cans. A moment later I even had to jump over a corpse.

- To the left, to the left! - he called, turning in the indicated direction.

I turned with him. We ran straight again through the dingy alley. Then, suddenly, the door of one of the buildings several meters away was forced open so that four mutants could run out. I grabbed my rifle and fired a burst at them, aiming a bit higher at the ICG heads dripping with black liquid. They all fell, except for the third, who happened to be hit on the side of the head. It didn't kill him, but groaning in pain, he fell back against the wall clutching his head, screaming even louder. We passed him and ran on. Unfortunately, they caught up with us and were getting closer. It wasn't good, really fucking not good. So what if we were running juice, they're about to catch us and eat us. The situation was hopeless when I spotted the back entrance of a bar ahead of us, but more importantly, there were base tanks. About five. It was here. As soon as we ran through them, I turned around and started running backwards. I took out my gun and aimed it at him. As soon as the monsters got close enough, I shot one of them. Gas began to leak through the hole, which began to burn. By the time I looked around, all the gas cylinders had exploded with quite a bit of force. The impact force was so great that I pushed us back a little bit. The fall was not the most pleasant. I shook myself off the ground to see the effect of my actions. The street was demolished and was on fire. I watched as on the other side a horde of monsters tried unsuccessfully to walk through the flames, but to no avail. One went too far and caught fire, causing it to fall to the ground, rolling about to be extinguished. Eventually they began to disperse, admitting defeat, or more likely to find a way around. The fattest one with whom I kept eye contact stayed for a while, then croaked and said something in an unfamiliar language, then began to walk away with the others.

- Meg... What on earth did you do? - said Mr. Williams behind me. 

- Uhm... I just saved our butts? - I replied confused.

- You could at least be sharp. - He still complained to get up on his feet. 

- Anyway, we're at peace with this horde for a while. At least before they find their way around.

- Let's hurry up then. It won't take them long to find another way.

- Okay, where do we go now, old man?

- To the right! Then straight ahead and we will reach the town square, and from there we will go straight along the street to the exit from the town. 

- Okay, let's go then.

We ran in the direction indicated, which was the exit to the street. It was the town square. Full of various shops, bars, restaurants and other offices along with the historic town hall, and a wonderful square in front of it. I mean, it was rather splendid, because now it was a battlefield, where there was also no shortage of those damned monsters and the flesh and guts of the wretched corpses. And what to speak of puddles of black goo and fleshy vines possessing almost everything and this strange mold covering cars, sidewalks and buildings. However, what worried me the most was another truck that was standing in front of the town hall building with shields. Behind one of them I saw a dead soldier.