Chapter 9: Lighting the Flame

Once Asgore arrived, he passed the photos to Alphys. "I hope these will suffice. ...It's hard to find one of every angle, but... I just hope these are good enough." The photos containing Asriel are almost every angle from family photos spanning a long while.

"I believe these should be g-good to work with!" Alphys then took the photos over to a scanner where she scanned all the photos onto her computer. After which, she returned the photos to Asgore and she jumped to the computer and started typing away at the keyboard. 

After gathering enough photos and with some help from Asgore, Alphys was able to make a rough design of Asriel's new endoskeleton on the screen. This new body Asriel will use may not have any magic, but to try to fully replicate his old body. After checking and confirming with Asgore, Alphys began the process with machines spawling to life as they began to make Asriel's new body from scratch. As the assembly for Asriel's endoskeleton was underway, Alphys remembered something. "Oh! Asgore, I forgot to ask you about that fur sample. I'll need it to recreate Asriel's fur of course."

"Oh, I haven't thought about that for a while, just one second." Asgore said as he proceeded to pluck a hair from his fur, and gave it to Alphys. She in turn put it inside another machine where it took the DNA off of Asgore's fur hair, and started recreating it artificially for Asriel's fur. 

"How long will it take?" Asriel asked, as Frisk handed him back to Asgore.

"It's possibly going to take a while until it's done. Do you maybe want to go home Asriel?" Asgore asked to him.

Asriel pondered for a moment before making his choice. "Yeah... I would like to go back there..."

Asgore was confused for a moment. "You've been there before?"

"Yeah, Frisk walked with me through to get to you guys before... All of that..." Asriel sighed sorrowfully. 

Asgore then looked to Frisk, "Would you like to join us, Frisk?" But Frisk, wanting to stay behind to make sure everything went well and to help if needed, declined Asgore's offer. He nodded and carried Asriel back to their home in New Home.

As Asgore and Asriel headed home, Toriel meanwhile was in Waterfall. She wandered around heading to Snowdin thinking about what Asgore had told her.  She walked and walked until she faced her reflection from one of the waterfalls, "Have I really abandoned who I was...? Did he really need me to help him? ...Could I have really stopped him from making that choice...?" She pondered as she stared at her reflection for a moment. "...No, he made his choice. I will not tolerate it. He made his, and I made mine. He is wrongful to... To..." She then remembered the other humans that had come before Frisk. "...But... I could've... I could've stopped them from..." Toriel thought long and hard about her past, and it only made her more and more uncomfortable. "...They were not strong enough... And I let them go to him when I could've stopped them..." She fell to her knees in despair. "...I led them to their death..." She couldn't move, as she was stunned by the realization of her actions and the consequences that followed.

It took her a moment to gather her barrings, but after all she thought about the past humans, her mind came to her son, Asriel. "...Was that machine really my son? I thought we put a stop to Doctor..." Her mind was racing as the thoughts ran through her head. "...Did I hurt my own son...?" She was on the verge of tears, trying to hold it all in. She got to her own two feet and tried to walk until an echo flower nearby repated her own words. "...Did I hurt my own son...?" The echo flowers kept repeating those words, causing Toriel to fall to her knees again, crashing into tears. "...I almost killed my son...?