Chapter 6

January 20XX

With the death of their friend, Jonathan Dennis, the group of friends started to grow distant with each other while they mourned their friend. They really wouldn't speak to each other until mid-to-late January, when Evan texted the group and told them about an upcoming hockey game that he was taking part in.

"Are any of you coming to the game today?" Evan's text asked.

"Game?" Kyle responded with, before sending another text, "hockey game?"

Evan quickly replied, "yeah! Even though Blackwood's campus is closed, the sports teams have games to play."

"That's kinda fucked up." Joey responded with.

The group continued to text for a little bit, with Evan finding out that only Kyle and Luke would be the only ones who'd make it to the game, due to everyone else being busy with work or family matters.

***

It was getting close to the time when Evan's hockey game was about to start. Kyle slowly pulled his 4Runner into the parking lot and quickly found a spot, which happened to be right next to his friend, Luke Patterson.

The two males would step out of their vehicles and greet each other, since it had been about a month since they last physically saw each other. They'd make some small talk with each other until Kyle changed the subject.

"Hey, how are you holding up Luke? With what happened to Jonathan?" Kyle asked, wondering if his friend was alright.

"I'm doing alright i suppose." Luke said with a soft sigh.

Kyle nodded understandingly, as he knew how close the two of them were. there was a few moments of silence after that, until Luke suggested they head inside to get their seats and everything else. The two of them would soon begin walking towards the entrance. As they did that, Kyle counted four police cars. Two of them parked inside the lot and the other two were currently driving around the parking lot.

Kyle shook his head, partly in disbelief and also slightly in annoyance, "Apparently Maxis wasn't joking." He commented.

Upon hearing him, Luke became confused and turned to face him, "What do you mean?" He asked.

"When everyone was in the group chat talking about who's coming to the game, Maxis told me that she was going to try and get some of the guys, at the station she's interning at, to work 'security' for the game." Kyle said while using air quotes.

Luke made a noise and just shook his head, "your sister is nuts."

Kyle nodded in agreement, "you don't even know..." He muttered to himself.

After a few more steps, the two of them were finally inside the arena. They made a quick stop at the bathrooms and then went to the concession stand to grab some drinks before heading to their seats.

***

The game was almost over and the score, as cliche as it sounds, was tied. Everyone in the arena remained silent as they watched the hockey players pass the puck. Luckily, Blackwood's team had control of it and it was passed to Evan, who took a shot and scored, just one second before the buzzer sounded.

With Evan scoring what was essentially the game winning goal, the crowd erupted in various noises. The people from Blackwood cheered loudly, while the other team's fans booed.

Soon after, everyone began to leave the arena, since the game was officially over. Kyle and Luke remained seated for a few seconds, just to let the rest of the crowd leave.