The Homefront

As the sun dipped at the background of the massive Roy Choudhary haweli, casting a warm glow over the tranquil landscape, slowly brushing everything around in darker shades, a pair of anticipating dark eyes stood at the terrace, overlooking the red mud stretch that had formed a path towards her.

"Boudidimoni, how long would you stand here?" Koeli's warm concern had made Bondita sigh, but she hadn't taken her eyes off the road for once.

"For as long as it takes." She had muttered unmindfully.

"But eat something at least, you haven't eaten since... "

Bondita raised her hand, gesturing Koeli to stop, as her eyes furrowed up at an orange cloud of dust forming at the horizon, playing hide and seek with the dark green prying branches.

"Koeli Didi... Is that...?" Bondita didn't complete her words, her heart was pounding uncontrollably, and as Koeli narrowed her eyes to take a good look, Bondita picked up her pocket binoculars and fixed it to her eyes.

The dust was clearing at a distance, and a sight of a black jeep became cognizant, she knew the jeep, it's theirs!

"Didi... They are coming... Go... Go down, ask Badrinath Darowan to open the gate, ask Kumud to heat water for bath, ask Monir Maa to oversee the kitchen." She breathed the instructions at once and took a deep breath as her eyes now fell on another familiar sight.

"Koeli Di... Is that...?" She gasped this time. "Barrister Babu is riding the bike!" She further narrowed her gaze through the binoculars for a clearer view as Koeli too joined her.

"Isn't that Choto Babu's Bhotbhoti which Nakul Dada took?" Koeli asked, a little confused.
"Then why is Barrister Babu riding it? Why isn't he inside the car?"

Koeli asked, and Bondita listened.

"Boudidimoni, do you think Choto dadababu is un... "

Bondita took her eyes off the binoculars and looked at Koeli, the unpleasant thoughts had already hardened her gaze, now fixated coldly on Koeli, and fearing the cold gaze, Koeli quickly nodded her head and dashed out of the terrace, readily carrying out each and every order that her young Thakurani malkin gave her.

Bondita saw Koeli leave, and then she fixed the binoculars to the bridge of her sharp nose once again. The sight had changed this time. The motor bike had taken a sharp turn towards the outer road of the village, heading towards the Sadar Hospital, or perhaps the Post office, she couldn't tell. She saw her husband seated tall and straight, his shoulders skillfully flexing with each turn he took. His backbrushed hair was swaying in the cutting wind, and Bondita thought he looked a little weary.
But weary or not, he's home, and that's all she needed to see to ease her throbbing thoughts.
But why was he riding?
'Is Batuk really sick then?' The thought aloud was now suddenly churning her insides in an unknown fear. She sighed and looked at the Jeep again, heading right towards her.
A group of small village children had also gathered around the slow moving vehicle, and now they were dancing and clapping their hands in some unfathomable happiness, and from their gestures Bondita somehow knew it can't be as bad as she thought.

'Why would those children be happy then?'
She questioned herself.

The jeep was nearing and suddenly Bondita was filled with an immediate urgency. The urgency to climb down those fleet of stairs, grab the silver puja thali from the in-house temple, and to greet his dear brother-in-law.
Mira too would be there, wouldn't she?

Bondita rushed down the stairs at once.

.......................

Tulsipur wasn't just a village but an emotion, the pathway winds through earthy red mud, flanked by majestic trees that sway in whispered harmony with the breeze. The sleek black jeep, like an elegant shadow, meanders along the road, its deliberate pace capturing the attention of the village's exuberant children. These little ones were dancing with unbridled joy, a whirlwind of youthful enthusiasm encircling the vehicle, as if welcoming a long-lost hero.