Chapter 1: I'm lost again, aren't I?

It was really, just supposed to be a regular camping trip. It really was. But of course, Grian had gotten lost AGAIN.

"Where AM I?" Grian said to himself. "Oohh, why did I decide to go off-trail?!" Grian checked his phone. No signal. Why did I choose to camp out in a COMPLETELY REMOTE LOCATION! Grian thought. Mumbo TOLD me something like this would happen!

Mumbo was Grian's absolute SPOON of a roommate. But he was the only one of them with more than 2 braincells, so it's not surprising that he would predict this. Grian continued to wander around the trees, he hadn't yet had a chance to camp out anywhere, and it was starting to get dark out. Eventually he came across an abandoned barn, which was a surprising thing to find in the middle of the woods, but he wasn't going to complain about finding shelter.

By the time he had finished settling in, (purposely NOT underneath the very unstable looking loft) it was dark out. It was a good thing he brought so many blankets with him. Twas' going to be a long night.

☆ Time skip to the morning ☆

After a fitful night of sleep, Grian woke up, to his immediate surprise, a chicken! Why was there a chicken, half asleep in his lap, in an abandoned barn, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WOODS!? "what the . . ." Grian muttered to himself as he carefully sat up, staring down at the live poultry that had decided it wanted to become a cat. Another 5 minutes passes. Slowly, Grian's hand reaches down and gives the chicken a few strokes on its head. Pulling his hand back, Grian waits to see how she responds.

"Cluck!" the feathery friend states, nuzzling into the bend of G's knee.

Almost instantly, Grian's heart melts. "I know you want to cuddle, but I need to get up now, chicken!" after repeating it a few times, the chicken seems to understand this and gets up to leave his lap.

As Grian goes about his day he thought about what to name the chicken, he wasn't going to just leave it here! Maybe sally. I like sally a lot. "What do you think of Sally?" Grian says, directing his speech in the direction of the tree she was pecking around underneath. The chicken looks up an clucks. "Sally it is then!" and Grian continues on.

Despite what was happening, he was still technically on his camping trip. And he DEFINITELY wasn't going to let the week of vacation time he had right now go to waste! As the days passed, Grian began to notice how many feathers were laying around. There was one in particular that was especially beautiful. It must have been a flight feather, and it was such a pure white. Grian resisted the urge to pick it up, but after a while he gave into the temptation to pick it up. It seemed to shimmer and glow in the moonlight. Definitely wasn't from sally. Her feathers were a creamy brown. Strange. Grian thought, but didn't give much more of his attention to it.

☆ Time skip one week ☆

Sally had been looking at Grian more the past few days, and Grian had been looking at the strange feather more the past few days as well. She seemed to notice something was different than when she first found him. Ever since he had found that darn feather G's skin had started to change, same with his eyes. Grian got up, and started to walk back into the woods trying to find a way out.

And there it was! The trail! Grian breathed a heavy sigh of relief. There was only a couple of days until he was supposed to be back in the city, and he didn't want to worry anybody more than they would be with him just camping. Grian went back to the barn, making sure to mark the trees on his way back. Like the fist night here, the sky was cloudy, so much so that he couldn't see the stars. Grian ate some food, and sat down, staring into the feather, studying its gentle creases and bends. Late into the night he fell asleep.

Once the morning came, Grian decided to start packing up. Within the day he was ready to get going. Grabbing Sally he said farewell to the broken down barn and set out onto the trail, taking the strange feather with him.