6-Nowaki

When I entered the roof top today, Kida was sitting in the same spot as before. I began walking towards him. In his hands was a sandwich, and he was looking at me slightly. I was glad he noticed me this time. I didn't want to scare the crap out of him like I had the day before. I smiled at him once I was next to him. His cheeks turned a light shade of pink and I chuckled.

"Hi." I said as I sat next to him. I pulled out my chips and tea again, and he looked over.

"You really should bring a lunch..." His voice was almost inaudible.    "That's not good for you..."
I took the chance I had to examine his face before he hid it again. His blue eyes still drowned in darkness...he was quite cute, despite the look in his eyes. He almost reminded me of some sort of small animal...a cat? No...his looks were softer than that. He caught me staring and turned his face away again.

I glanced at his hands, which were clutching the sandwich a bit too hard. From there, my eyes trailed down to his wrists, where I saw blood on his jacket. That must have been from just this morning...maybe that's why he had left the classroom.

He was looking at me now. Shame was plastered on his face. He knew what I was looking at. I wanted to say something, but I couldn't think of anything. Instead, I tore my eyes away and opened my chips, then shoved one in my mouth. I stared out across the roof top and said,

"I think I'm gonna eat lunch up here from now on. It's quiet and calm...if that's ok with you." He stared at his sandwhich. It looked as though he was refraining from speaking.    "Besides...I thought you might want someone to hang out with."

"You should go..." He said suddenly, nearly cutting me off. His remark caught me a little off guard.

"...What?" I responded with a confused tone.

"...Your friends will start avoiding you if you hang out with me..." I heard a slight break in his voice. The urge to hug and comfort him washed over me.

"I don't care if they do. I don't need any of them if they're gonna ditch me anyways." I spoke truthfully. He looked over at me and I saw tears starting to form.

"I mean it. You have to go back..." His voice trembled slightly. He looked desperate for me to leave. I didn't move from my spot.

"But Kida, I-"

"You can't hang out with me. People are going to get the wrong idea. Don't you get that?" He sounded even more desperate now. I became afraid he was going to run away again.

"What? The wrong idea?" I blinked a few times in confusion. He drew his knees up to his chest and buried his face in his arms as he spoke.

"I'm gay, Nowaki. Everyone knows that, and that's why they'll get the wrong idea." He tried to hold back his tears, but failed. "Now go back...before you don't have anyone to go back to...please." He pleaded. The thought that he was afraid he would cause me to lose my friends hurt me. I couldn't believe this kid had been pushed to a mental state like that. I collected my thoughts and took a breath.

"I know you're gay, Kida. It doesn't bother me. I'm not exactly one hundred percent straight myself, you know." I confessed.

"It doesn't matter...you know that you'll be avoided if you hang out with me, so why are you here?" He said through tears. My body moved on its own suddenly. I reached over, and turned him, then leaned in to hug him.