Chapter 3: The Soul

Cassie knew what she had to do. "Cassie!" Suzie screamed as the girl turned around to face the Mimic. "Go!" Cassie ordered. "I'll be fine." Cassie turned to face the Mimic, fear tearing her apart. She had to, if only to give the other children a chance. The Mimic turned towards her with a curious expression. As if it was thinking, 'Why aren't you running away?'. Cassie dodged a blow to the head, steel whooshing past her face. She equipped her Fazwrench, pulling it out of some unknown pocket. (Actually, it was just the one on her shorts, but anyways...) Cassie didn't dare try to dart around it again, after the last encounter. She tried to come up with a plan, but there was no time for it. Cassie was caught by an electrified wire hanging off the Mimic, and she yelped as it burned her skin. The Mimic pushed her to the ground, and she backed away as the Mimic stepped closer. The Mimic loomed over her, its foot raised before it brought it down swiftly. There was a crunch and a scream, and then all was silent.

.......

     Suzie kept running, tears flying from her eyes as she heard Cassie's final sound. It was too permanent. Too deadly. Too terrifying. "Suzie, come on!" Gabriel yelled, tugging on her arm. "I know what you're thinking, but Cassie wants us to go. We can't lose you too." Gabriel begged. Suzie looked up at him and nodded. There was something comforting about the words. As if everything would be ok. But it wasn't. The kids booked it up and stairs and slammed the door shut behind them, barricading it. "That won't hold it forever! Come on!" Fritz cried, as the four climbed the ladder in the elevator shaft. They eventually made it out of the sinkhole and into the raceway.

.......

     Cassie opened her eyes. She was lying on the floor, the Mimic gone. She sat up abruptly, only to realize her body... Her body was still on the floor. Cassie screamed and got up, freaking out. "What the- My body! My body!" She shrieked. After taking a good five minutes to calm down, Cassie looked at herself. She did indeed have a body, but it was devoid of color and slightly transparent. She came to the conclusion that the Mimic had killed her. "Why am I not... Why am I still here?" Cassie thought to herself. She looked around, then decided to continue forward. 

.......

"Does anyone hear... Crying?" Jeremy asked. Sure enough, there was a sobbing coming from the right. "Get back out there. You have to find her." The voice said determined, then broke into sobbing again. "Its Roxy! Maybe she can help us?" Fritz said hopefully. "Or kill us." Jeremy muttered. "What if she's with the monster?" He pointed out. The others nodded and crept away. Suddenly, Suzie stopped. "Wait, who is she trying to find? Could it be... Cassie... Oh no." Suzie realized that this news would break the wolf's heart, if her and Cassie had been working together.  Suzie had a feeling they had. Her friends, not noticing she was gone, continued to creep out of sight. Suzie stopped and turned towards the wolf. "Roxy?" She asked carefully, ready to run at a moment's notice. The wolf turned around sharply, a growl emitting from her. But as soon as she saw Suzie, she calmed down noticeably. "Hello, little racer." She said gently, before asking, "Have you seen a small kid? Red sweater, brown hair and eyes, white shorts over black leggings? Her name is Cassie, and she was taken away by a very evil bunny." She said the last part angrily, remembering Vanny's taunts as she hung Cassie's life on a thread. "I... I have seen her... But she isn't here. I... I heard her die."

.......

     Cassie eventually found the Mimic. It was banging on a door, presumably where Suzie and the others had gone. "Hello?" Cassie called out. The Mimic didn't notice at all, continuing to beat the door. She walked over to it, sticking her hand right in front of it. She screeched as the Mimic's hand went right through hers, as it had raised its fist. It was a slightly odd feeling, like weight had pulled her hand down, and Cassie realized she was shaking. "I'm ok. It can't hurt me."  'And If I can go through the Mimic, maybe I can go through this door.' Cassie thought. She was nervous, but as she walked through the door, she laughed at the odd sensation. Cassie ventured farther and farther, exploring, but mainly looking for her friends. Even though she was dead, perhaps there was a way to communicate with them. Like Cassidy did. Cassie smiled at the thought of her 'friend'. The two hadn't been very close, but in the end, Cassidy had saved her alive counterpart. Cassie continued through the hallways. But she noticed there were voices coming from a room nearby. Cassie recognized those voices. And she was not happy.