Volume I - Chapter I

The forest was shrouded in an inky darkness, the moon’s feeble light struggling to penetrate the dense canopy overhead as she descended gracefully upon a small clearing, her figure morphing and shifting as her ability subsided — the colorless, almost transparent photon particles slowly returning her body to her original humanoid form; lustrous multi-layered armor platings that once covered her entire body receded, revealing her slender frame clad in a sleek, white dress. Two magnificent wings — their pinions a mesmerizing blend of ebony and gilded edges — folded against her back, shedding their feathers of black before they too started to dissipate into the night like scattered stardust.

“Hmm,” she murmured softly to herself, a hint of nostalgia creeping into her voice; the Guardian looked down at her own hands, flexing her fingers and watching as the ambient light danced across the polished surface of her gauntlets. “It has been quite some time since I last assumed that form…”

Beside her, two spherical devices floated, their holographic interfaces flickering with faint luminescence; one of them — the MAG containing a fragment of Auria’s consciousness — emitted a gentle chime as it hovered closer, concern evident in the young AI’s haste to inquire about her well-being.

“Is there something wrong, Commander?” A feminine voice resonated through the air, its tone filled with a mixture of care and curiosity. “Do you feel some sort of discomfort after using your ability? I… confess, that I have little information regarding that transformation technique.”

“Thank you for your concern, Auria, but there’s no need to worry about me. As you can see, I am perfectly fine.” She turned her gaze towards the floating MAG, a soft smile gracing her lips as she shook her head. “I simply forgot how… exhilarating, the entire experience could be. Normally, I would much rather go for Appregina instead; still, perhaps utilizing the other forms every once in a while wouldn’t be such a bad idea. Regardless…” Her voice flowed with a sense of tranquility as she spoke, like a gentle breeze whispering through the trees. “Do you have any complain regarding the new MAG itself? Some sort of problem whatsoever?”

“I have yet to encounter any issues, Commander.” The artificial intelligence replied, its cadence measured and composed. “The MAG’s performance has been satisfactory thus far, and I must admit that certain functions of the device appear to be superior compared to our own. It is an… intriguing piece of equipment, to say the least, and I believe it wouldn’t be wrong to say that there’s much ARKS could gain from further study and analysis of the device.”

“Is that so?” She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, filling her lungs with the earthy scent of moss and the sweet fragrance of wildflowers that mingled with the crisp night air. “An unexpected boon, then… well, no mater; I suppose we should be glad that it managed to exceed our expectations. Both the Research Division and the Department of Intelligence are going to have a field day once we managed to return to the fleet.” The cold wind brushed against her bare shoulders, and with a contented smile, she opened her eyes and looked up at the star-studded sky above, its vast expanse a canvas of shimmering lights. “Still, it is a shame that you’ve decided to stay behind. Having you around would have made this entire venture much more enjoyable.”

“I… shall endeavor to do my best should the next opportunity arise.”

“Mhmm, next time then…” A soft sigh escaped from her lips as her eyes proceeded to scan the surrounding forest, its dark silhouette seemingly alive with whispers and hidden secrets; the trees stood tall and proud, their branches reaching towards the starlit sky like ethereal fingers yearning for a touch of the heavens, while the undergrowth rustled softly in the night breeze — a symphony of sound that danced on the edge of her perception. “Remind me; if I’m not mistaken, then the city of Orario should be somewhere  to the west, correct?”

“Yes, Ma’am,” the MAG bobbed in the air, its spherical form pulsing with a faint green light as it began to project a holographic map of the continent. “According to the navigational data we have obtained, Orario is indeed located to the west of our current position. It should be within a reasonable distance, approximately two hundred and ninety-five kilometers away.” A series of glowing dots appeared on the map, outlining a path that would led them through several villages and towards the city. “If we follow the predetermined route, we should be able to falsify our trail, making it appear as if we hail from the Empire instead.”

“Excellent, that should provide us with a sufficient cover story.” She responded, her voice carrying a note of satisfaction as she turn and took a step forward, her greaves barely making a sound on the carpet of fallen leaves that blanketed the forest floor. “Let us get going, then; I prefer to reach the first village before morning comes.”

Several strands of blue started to materialize around her as she continued her leisurely pace, moving and coalescing into a radiant, shimmering sphere of photon energy. With a wave of her hand, the sphere fragmented, scattering motes of light in every direction; the tiny particles danced in the air, imbued with the energy of creation and alteration.

She extended her hand towards the scattered photons, her fingers curling around the intangible shards of energy as she began to manipulate them with delicate precision, and the particles responded to her touch, weaving and swirling in an intricate dance as they formed the shape of an ethereal book. It materialized before her, its black cover adorned with golden accents that glinted in the faint moonlight; several crimson gems were embedded into the leather-like material, their vibrant hue contrasting against the dark surface.

Atlas Letra EX… a grimoire, so to speak — one of the strongest talis-type weapon she had in her possession, and something that shouldn’t look entirely out of place in this new realm.

She reached for her belt, the sound of metal clinking against metal filling the air, as she hung the grimoire on a specially designed hook, allowing it to rest comfortably on her waist — the golden chain that adorned its spine glinting as it swung gently with her movements; the purple demonic eye ornament placed on the center of the book seemed to emanate a subtle aura of power, drawing one’s attention to its mysterious allure.

With a swift motion, she raised her hand once more, commanding the photons to reshape themselves. The radiant energy responded to her will, coalescing and taking shape as she summoned a blade, a sword hidden behind the veneer of another weapon. Its hilt, adorned with an intricate engraving of a lion, gleamed with an opalescent sheen, while the steel itself possessed a scarlet edge that seemed to shimmer like liquid fire. The elaborate weapon — a variation of the Imperial Crimson — was nothing more than a camouflage to deceive the eyes, allowing her true weapon, the Trailblazer Sword, to imitate the regal blade wielded by Rosalinde of Idola, if only in appearance…

“Not as long as I would’ve preferred, though it is nothing a little photon manipulation couldn’t fix.” The Guardian mused, her voice a whisper that blended seamlessly with the nocturnal symphony of the forest as she tested the weight of the weapon in her hand, her eyes tracing the scarlet line that goes up the central ridge of the blade. “But I suppose it will have to suffice…”

She slid the sword into its custom made scabbard, the smooth sound of metal meeting leather reverberating throughout the night; the weapon hung comfortably at her side, its pristine hilt peeking out from beneath the flowing folds of her white dress.

“Aren’t you going to manifest the shield as well, Commander?” Auria asked a few seconds of silence, her voice filled with genuine curiosity.

“Hmm…” The Guardian trailed off for a moment, considering the question; she glanced towards the pair of devices floating beside her, a faint smile playing on her lips as she shook her head gently. “No, not yet… the shield would only serve to inhibit my movement at this point, not to mention that I’m stuck with the ‘Hero’ class at the moment; at least, until we managed to fix the necessary equipment.” She replied, her voice carrying a touch of amusement. “Of course, that is not to say that I am incapable of utilizing the rest of the arts and techniques from the other classes, but I believe it would be best if I stick to those my photon are currently optimized for; no reason to waste more than what was necessary.”

“… and is that the only reason?”

“Well, it might have something to do with how a single blade would complement my overall appearance better compared to a sword and shield.” She admitted with a chuckle, a hint of pride seeping into her voice; the Guardian turned and looked at her reflection in the mirror-like surface of the lake as she walked, her eyes tracing the elegant lines of her dress and the glimmering accents of her armor. “It does makes me look like a knight, don’t you think? Or perhaps a princess knight?”

“… of course it is.” The AI responded with a dry tone, the slight edge evident in her words hinted at a mix of exasperation and fondness. “As always, your… preference, for style over practicality is well deserved.”

“And did you expect anything different? We’ve been together for eight months already; you should know by now how… particular I am when it comes to appearances.” Her voice carried with it a playful lilt, a melodic sound that blended with the rustling leaves and the chorus of the creatures of the night. “Besides, a little style never hurt anyone; in fact, being presentable is just as important as being effective in battle. After all, what good is a Guardian who lacks the presence and charisma to command and inspire others?”

“With all due respect, Commander,” Auria interjected, the light on the MAG’s visor flickering slightly as she spoke. “Your presence alone is often enough to drive the ARKS into a frenzy…”

“Mhmm… a quality that even someone like Xiao never hesitate to utilize in our battle against the Armada of Demise.” The words that came out of her lips held a touch of nostalgia, tinged with both acknowledgment and a hint of regret as she gently shook her head; a cascade of rosy pink swayed with the motion before she returned her gaze back to the winding path ahead — the memories of her past battles and the sacrifices of those around her danced in her mind, a bittersweet reminder of the countless failures she had experienced despite the power she held within her hands. “Yes… I suppose it can be quite useful in certain situations.”

“… Ma’am?”

“It’s fine… nothing you should concern yourself with.” The Guardian dismissed the topic with a wave of her hand, her voice carrying with it a sense of finality before she switched to a more jovial tone. “That reminds me; I never did get to thank you for helping me modify the dress, didn’t I?”

The moonlight filtered through the canopy above, casting ethereal patterns on the ground and illuminating her every movement. She glanced down at the flowing white dress that clung to her form, the fabric rippling like a gentle stream as she walked; what was once a pure — if somewhat elaborate — white dress with silver armor had now been transformed into a dazzling ensemble with golden armor and ornamentation. The fabric around the hemline was tinged with hints of crimson hues, adding a touch of subtle vibrancy to the overall aesthetic; patterns of crosses lined the edges of her skirt, intertwining with the intricate engravings on the surfaces of the glorious metal that covered parts of her body — their surfaces catching the faintest glimmers of starlight and reflecting them in a mesmerizing dance.

“I’m, ah… I’m glad that you’re pleased with the outcome, Commander.” The young artificial intelligence, ever humble, replied modestly. “Although, to be honest, the design itself was already exquisite; all I did was just a bit of re-coloration and some other minor adjustments, such as swapping parts of the armor.”

“Nonsense; you underestimate yourself, Auria.” Her voice held a warm undertone as she turned her head and cast a grateful smile at the floating MAG. “This ‘Blanche Tiares’ looks absolutely stunning.” She proceeded to glance at the other MAG with a twinkle of delight in her eyes. “Isn’t that right, little Skye?” Her loyal companion let out a quick chime in confirmation, bobbing up and down while emitting a series of cheerful beeps; she reached out and gently patted the MAG’s spherical body, her touch eliciting a chorus of excited melodies. “See? Even Skye here agrees with me…”

“T-thank you, Ma’am,” the numerous lines on the surface of AI’s borrowed form glowed with a faint light reminiscent of a blush, its gentle hue illuminating their surrounding as she stammered. “But I must insist that it was a collaborative effort. Y-your vision and guidance played a significant role in the final result.”

“So you say…” The Guardian chuckled softly, the sound that came out of her mouth echoed like a delicate note weaving through the night, carrying with it a sense of genuine appreciation. “Though let us be honest; you always manage to make it look so… effortless. I, on the other hand, am fairly certain that I could never do it as well as you did.”

“R-really? I-I mean, your words are too kind, Commander,” Auria replied, her tone filled with a mixture of gratitude and mild embarrassment, along with a not-so-small amount of pride. “But I assure you, i-it was simply a matter of adapting to your preferences and utilizing the resources at our disposal; of course, none of the processes costs us more than a few units of photons.”

‘How adorable…’

While the young AI may have appeared stoic and composed on the surface, the Commander — along with the rest of her crew — had come to understand that she had a number of… susceptibilities; among them were compliments, particularly one in regards to her private ‘hobby’, as well as a few other things — not that the young woman was aware of their observations. Nevertheless, it was a rare glimpse into the artificial intelligence’s more human-like qualities, a vulnerability that she personally found rather endearing.

“Oh, I know… still, it does not change the fact that you’re exceedingly skilled at this particular subject.” The glow from the MAG intensified ever-so-slightly, enhancing the vibrant colors of the forest; the trees seemed to sway in response to the gentle illumination — their leaves shimmering like emerald jewels — revealing a large expanse of grassy landscape that lay beyond. “Regardless, back to the matter at hand, I believe it would be best if the two of you started to hide yourselves, just in case someone managed to stumble upon our path.”

“A-ah? Y-yes, understood, Ma’am; e-engaging cloaking protocols…” Auria stammered once more — momentarily caught off guard by the abrupt change in topic — while Skye let out a quiet whirr, both of their forms growing translucent and blending into the surrounding environment with each passing second.

“Well then,” the Guardian continued as she stepped out of the forest, her gaze sweeping across the vast plain that unfolded before her eyes; verdant blades swayed gently in the soft breeze, rippling like a sea of green waves beneath the moon’s luminous glow. “Let us see what this world has in store for us, shall we?”

Star's Salvation: Lost Echoes