09

You're not too excited–not at all, really–but it does bring some satisfaction to finally see Jeongguk struggle.

He skips his morning run, stating that he'll take a rest day with only the exercise that hauling heavy stuff around provides. When the truck pulls up, he's however still wearing his normal workout outfit, meaning–shirtless.

It does draw a roll of the eyes from you, but you feel like you can't blame him too much; the sun really seems extra harsh today. When it comes to your own outfit, you've opted for a shorter light pink and flowy dress, held up by spaghetti straps. You try not to think of Jeongguk's opinion.

You stand back when the two men introduce themselves, letting Jeongguk do most of the talking, but when they open up the back of the truck, you're happy to grab some brown boxes to carry inside.

Honestly, you have absolutely no idea what's inside all these boxes, but at least they're labeled by room to make it easier. The plan is to just carry them inside and procrastinate unpacking them for as long as possible, ideally until you're done and there's no longer a need to pretend anyway.

And although there are countless disadvantages to being a woman in this world, there is also at least one perk.

It turns out that both moving guys, Donggeun and Gaeul, are surprisingly... chivalrous. They're also just regular movers and definitely not law enforcement. Gaeul works primarily from within the big truck, handing the boxes out, and you, Jeongguk, and Donggeun accept them to move them inside.

Well, as soon as Gaeul lifts a particularly heavy one–or just not one weighing basically nothing–he immediately counts you out.

If he's there and ready, Donggeun is Gaeul's first choice, and he only hands it to Jeongguk if his colleague is busy. More than once, you reach for a brown box, only to have it gently snatched from your hands with an 'I'll take that for you, miss,'

You don't like being made to feel weak, especially not by men, but to be honest, today you don't mind taking the backseat.

Still, you walk to and fro the house at least ten times, and you start to wonder if the chief and whoever coordinated the props miscalculated something because this many boxes truly is overkill. There are only so many things you do need for your short stay and only so many more to make your pretend life believable.

Despite making more runs than you, carrying a whole lot heavier things and sometimes two boxes at once, Jeongguk is clearly irritated whenever he misses his chance of taking a box from you to carry himself. Even more so when Donggeun beats him to it. Like you said, you don't mind. Additionally, you don't feel the threatening aura from either of the movers despite them being men, and you're pretty sure both of them wear wedding bands. All men are shit, you know that, but evidently, some less so than others.

After having given you an appropriate-deemed box, only for Donggeun to return from the house and happily take it from you, Jeongguk calls for a break. By now, even if you hate the mere thought of it, you and your fake husband have gotten quite good at looks. Subtle glances, pointing gazes–it's clear that your communication has improved, and you don't miss his hint.

"Something to drink? That's not water, I mean?" you clap your hands together smilingly as Gaeul runs his forearm across his sweaty forehead and Donggeun sighs tiredly. They both nod appreciatively, and so you turn, entering the house.

Rummaging through the cupboards, you find a big glass jug that you fill with raspberry lemonade. Jeongguk would've probably appreciated a cold beer, but honestly, Gaeul and Donggeun can't drink on the job, and neither should he.