32

It's eight a.m. when you're awakened by knocks at your bedroom door, and as you open your eyes and peer around the room, it takes you a moment to remember where you are. That's right, you're at Jeongguk's.

"Hm?" you sit up, throwing your legs over the edge and taking a few unsteady steps toward the door.

In your half-awake state, the two locks take you an extra five seconds to unlock, but when you finally slide the door open, Jeongguk stands there, looking down at you and smiling.

"Morning," he greets, seemingly in a good mood.

"Morning," you squint back at him, your voice still laden by sleep. "Wow, you look... put together."

He smiles wider and chuckles. "I mean... I brush my hair sometimes."

Jeongguk isn't wearing anything crazy, just the police academy's navy sweatshirt and the pants of his uniform, something you've seen him wear often around the station, no less the day the chief revealed the mission. You guess that seeing people dressed formally for work and in (partial) uniform isn't that... natural for you anymore.

"Did you sleep okay?"

You try to blink away the various feelings that that specific navy color brings, and you focus on his face that's turned just a little softer. He's not imposing in your space at all, still standing a respectable step from the door.

You know what it is that he's asking, and evidently, you did use both locks. Your gaze falls to your hand, still on the door handle. Was it so bad? You lied awake for maybe half an hour after talking to Jeongguk for a pretty long while, and were those slightly anxious thirty minutes due to him or just... your situation? Was it him or your previous experiences combined with sleeping in a new place?

"Yeah, I slept fine," you smile, not wanting to disappoint him. When you look up, you notice the very very slight trace of worry and maybe sadness that's shadowing Jeongguk's features. He doesn't say anything, so you break the silence again.

"I agreed to come here, after all, Jeongguk. You asked me to, and so I packed my bag and came with you."

Surely, that means something? You definitely know you should trust him to some extent because the man took a sword to the chest for you, but learned behavior isn't always easy to change.

He nods, smiling a little, and you think you got your point across.

"I came to tell you that I have to go to the station, so here's a copy of the key for you," he reaches into his pocket to retrieve it, holding his hand out for you. "Also, I forgot to tell you yesterday but there's a gun in a gun safe under your bed. I've written the code on a note in the drawer of your bedside table."

"A gun?" you smile in confusion, taking the key from him. "You're sure about that?"

"Well, I trust your judgment," he explains casually, "and I know I'm never doing anything to you to make you need to use it against me."

A quiet 'oh' is all that leaves your lips. It can be that easy?

"Anyway, I gotta go, but I'm literally ten minutes away, so if you need anything, please just call me. Okay?"

"Yeah, okay."

"Good," he grins, "Are you going back to bed?"

"Probably," you admit because there's no reason for you to be awake at eight a.m., "Why?"

"You have the fitting hair-do for it."

Immediately, your hand flies up to your head to feel the extra volume and textures not usually present when you're looking decent. Your cheeks warm up as you try to pat the hairs down discreetly.