Glossary and Pronunciation Guide

A/N- You do NOT have to read this before reading the story. In fact, I recommend that you don't. There are lots of spoilers for the story you're about to read. Usually, authors put these at the end, but I want you to know that this exists as the story gets longer. I know that a lot of the terms and names used in this are a bit confusing; I was confused too initially and I know this story very well. Most of the words are in ancient Sumerian so it's sometimes hard to pronounce or remember the words. This glossary will help you guys with that if you're confused or curious. The capitalized syllables are the emphasized ones. I'll start with only what Sofia, our main character and narrator, knows and I'll update it with new things every chapter. If they're a bit mixed up, well, that's Sofie's fault! She sometimes gets a bit confused with what's going on. But with how she's been dragged into it, who can blame her? Anyway, here's the glossary!

Abbununnu (ab-boo-Nun-new)- the end of all things, the apocalypse, Ragnarok. This is the name the Salamu call the day that the Sepsu would win the final battle. This would cause the world to be taken over by dark gods, the gods of light to be cast out, and the world to eventually be destroyed. Lit. "dark day"

Alal (Al-al)- A man who is thought to be either an incarnation of the god Alal or simply blessed by his power. He and his counterpart enter the world when the Salamu and the Sepsu are about to have a major conflict and the balance of power is about to change. Legend says that there will be one last Alal and his counterpart who will decide the fate of both factions forever. Differently than the rest of the people blessed by the gods, his powers don't emerge at puberty, but when an Igigi positively identifies him and his powers as they're needed. He has power over all four elements as well as over death itself 

Also the Destroyer.

Amalug (Am-uh-lug)-term of respect for the Ninti. Lit. "goddess, priestess"

Damkianna (dam-key-Anna)- Woman blessed by the goddess Damkianna with her powers over earth. The god Enki blesses men

Egizid (egg-Ee-zid)- a female who has power over an element. Also the general term for people with power over an element. Lit. "priest"

Emegar(Emmie-gar)- Short spell used by Salamu so that they can manipulate their elements in preconceived ways. Lit. magic

Emqu (Em-q)- Council of Elders of the Salamu. Made up of the wisest of each of the magic users, one male and one female of each. Lit. "wise"

Enki (En-key)- Man blessed by the god Enki with his powers over earth. His consort Damkianna blesses women.

Enlil (Ehn-lil)- Man blessed by the god Enlil with his powers over air. His twin sister Ninlil blesses women

Ennigi (in-Knee-gee)- a male who has power over an element. Lit "priest"

Garradum (Gara-dumb)- a soldier or fighter in the Salamu. Lit. "warrior"

Gibil (Gib-ill)- Man or Woman blessed by the god Gibil with his powers over fire

Gishtil (Gish-till)- Formal term the Salamu have for humans. Lit. "vehicles of life"

Igigi (e-Gee-gee)- Person blessed by the Lady to be able to see which of the Lady's children's powers a child will inherit. Lit. "one who sees and observes"

Mare Ali (Mah-ray Ahl-ee)- name for those who are born to a Salamu but haven't been blessed by one of the gods. They are considered equal citizens but also given a choice as to whether they want to stay in the Salamu compound when they're adults or if they want to leave and go work in the world. Also known as the Mare. Lit. "citizens"

Nasaru (nah-Sar-ew)- Guard. They are set to guard important people in the Salamu. They are also forbidden from falling in love with their Utebbibassu, the person they guard.

Nina (Knee-nah)- Woman blessed by the goddess Nina with her powers over water. Her consort Ninazu blesses men.

Ninazu (Knee-nah-zoo)- Man blessed by the god Ninazu with his powers over water. The goddess Ninazu blesses men

Ninlil (Nin-lil)- Woman blessed by the goddess Ninlil with her powers over air. Her twin brother Enlil blesses men

Ninti (Nin-tea)- A woman who is thought to be either an incarnation of the goddess Ninti or simply blessed by her power. She and her counterpart enter the world when the Salamu and the Sepsu are about to have a major conflict and the balance of power is about to change. Legend says that there will be one last Ninti and her counterpart who will decide the fate of both factions forever. Differently than the rest of the people blessed by the gods, her powers don't emerge at puberty, but when an Igigi positively identifies her and her powers as they're needed after a certain age. She has power over all of the elements and over life itself. 

Also the Lady of Light. Mother of all of the gods

Salamu (Sal-uh-moo)- Group of "magic users" who follow the goddess Ninti, the Lady of Light. Focus is primarily on protecting the sanctity of life. Lit. "Safe"

Sepsu (Sep- sue)- Second faction of the users of the powers of the gods, but they follow the god Alal, the Destroyer. Focus is primarily on subjugating humans and gaining power. Lit. "Powerful"

Tibala (tib-Ball-uh)- A prophecy. The most famous one is the one that predicts the end of the struggle between Ninti and Alal. Lit. "sign"

Tubadum (tub-uh-dumb)- The uniform worn by each of the Salamu tribes. Nina and Ninazu wear blue, Damkianna and Enki wear green, Ninlil and Enlil wear white, Gibil wear red, Igigi wear gold, Emqu wear grey, Mare wear orange-yellow, and the Ninti wears the color of her magic. Lit. "Garment"

Ummani (ew-Mah-knee)- Artisans, those who create. LIt. "artisans"

Utebbibassu(ew-Tea-bib-ah-sue)- Those who are guarded by the Nasaru. Lt. "Innocent"

Wardum (War-dumb)- Derogatory term the Sepsu have for humans. Lit "slave"