Chapter 25: Lost

When Reyna was finished explaining everything to me, she stood still, waiting for me to say something

I'm such an idiot. I should have never tried to pry and draw out her innermost secrets, much less her past. And what was I hoping to get from it?

"It's not that I'm afraid that I'll do it again. I... I thought that if I told you," Reyna says, "it would only make everything feel more real. I wouldn't realize how much I lost until I said it aloud."

"I should have never tried to pry this from you." I apologize. "I'm sorry."

"I don't blame you. I would be curious too. But John?" She rubs her arms with her hands. "Did I do the right thing?"

I know that she's talking about Victor and what she did to defend herself. "I can't be the judge of that. Who am I to say if what you did was right or wrong?"

"Why does it feel like I should be punished?"

"Because you feel that after losing everything, you don't deserve to have anything because it will be taken from you anyways."

"Then why am I still here?"

"You still have a mission to complete. Besides, you haven't completely lost everything." I smile a little.

She lightly shoves me, and I fall into the waves. Suddenly, I'm coughing out saltwater and dripping wet. I splash saltwater onto her, making her squeal.

"Come on." Reyna holds out a hand. "Don't want us dying of hypothermia."

I take her hand and she leads me inside the house.