Ash Ketchum's Recovery

The sun setting and cooled air breezing across his skin broke Ash's slumber as he laid on one of the many Melemele Island beaches. It was late at night, the ocean waves calm and collective as the day began to wrap up. Opposite of the Alolan environment, Ash's thoughts were in disarray. It had been a couple of months after his stint in Kalos and he still felt incomplete, not like he used to be. The shitshow his journey ended in left an undesired impact on him that still hasn't been resolved.

Once he had left the region and returned to Pallet Town, Delia had immediately booked tickets to Alola, a much-needed vacation she said when he asked why. It turns out his mom was right, Alola had done wonders for him. Melemele Island was nothing short of beautiful, the breeze from the ocean and the warmth of the sun finally let Ash and Pikachu relax. Not only did it provide a sense of tranquility, but it also distracted the two from their experience in Kalos. Alola offered so much almost like they were repaying him for everything he had done in the past. It did help him forget about Lysandre and the destruction he caused, not only to Kalos but to him as well.

It was a vacation that let him relax for once and let him learn a lot about Alolan culture. Trials were very interesting and let Ash appreciate a new side of Pokemon battling. Going to school was something he never thought he would end up doing but it had been a helpful distraction and it was a useful source in learning more about the regional Pokemon, Kahunas, and Z-moves.

While he respected what Alola and the community had built here, it wasn't the solution he needed. Staying here for as long as he did has helped, it truly did, but it wasn't for him. He wasn't recovering and growing back into the trainer he knew he was. He needed to battle, not the friendly laid-back ones here in Alola, but ones where he had to put everything on the line. The fire inside of him that was burning out, needed to grow, grow back to how it used to be, a hot and large fire that burned at any given chance to battle. The blood rushing through his veins, his heart almost exploding from adrenaline, Ash wanted it, needed it to be the trainer he knew he used to be. Ultimately, Alola was built on different guidelines than the six other regions he had traveled through and it was diminishing his competitive spirit.

Sitting up from his previous position then preceding to stand up, Ash bathed in the ocean air as it blew into his face and ruffled his unfettered black jet hair. Also standing up from his curled position at Ash's feet was his best friend and partner, Pikachu, who was struggling to enjoy the same thing he was experiencing thanks to the oversized red hat on his head.

Distracted by his thoughts, the sun had now been replaced with the moon. Around him, Ash heard the chatter of the last tourists and natives diminish as they headed out, done for the day. Instead of following their example, Ash headed further down the beach until his ankles were covered by the water, Pikachu now on his shoulder as he did not want to be engulfed in chilling water this late at night.

Almost as if they were calling to him, regardless that he couldn't see them, Ash gazed out toward the other side of the ocean where he knew were countless other regions, ones he had already conquered and some he hadn't. Enveloped by a peaceful aroma and soothed by the calming smooth waves gently crashing against him, Ash reflected on his travels; His first day as a trainer, his first battles, capturing new Pokemon and adding to his family, meeting new people, legendary encounters and much more.

The thought of if he had done enough has crossed his mind before, a lot more frequently over this past year. Could he just stop his journey now, put an official end to his years as a trainer and go on with his life? He had already done enough for the world and much more than other trainers his age and older. Six regions with each one having gotten all eight gym badges and competing in the leagues. Also considering he saved each one from destruction at least once, Ash knew nothing was stopping him from just ending it here.