Chapter 1

"Babe, did you see the moving trucks next door?" I ask my boyfriend Luke as I wrap my arms around his middle. He shortly tenses but relaxes quickly underneath my touch.

When I turned my car into our street, the first thing I noticed was that it was busier than usual. Couple of trucks were parked in front of our neighbors' house, who I haven't met yet, even though I have been living here for almost a year now. They have never seemed to be there.

For the past two months contractors worked from Monday through Friday on remodeling the house and the surrounding property. How much I hated the nuisance noises from morning to evening and all the dirt and dust on our windows and in our garden.

During the first week, I wasn't able to concentrate properly on writing and was constantly cursing when I misspelled words or lost my train of thought. In the second week I gave up and sought refuge in a nearby coffee shop where I could at least work in some sort of calm environment. Now I can just hope that serenity and tranquility will return to our neighborhood as that was exactly the reason why I wanted to move here.

Resting my head on top of Luke's right shoulder I glance at the pot on the stove. Luke is cooking one of my favorite dishes. I can feel him putting one hand on top of mine, then he turns his head to me.

"I did." He puts a quick peck on my cheek, and I start to smile widely, because it has been months since he has done something remotely kind for me. Therefor I appreciate it a lot that he is cooking for me, and we can spend a little bit of time together.

"Maybe I should go over there and bring them one of my cakes. What do you think?" He turns around and shakes his head slightly.

"Let them settle in first," he says and moves a lose strand of my hair behind my ear.

"You are probably right," I sigh and give Luke a peck on his lips, before I continue, "I guess, I would have been pretty annoyed if someone had suddenly appeared at our door within the first few days of moving."

"I know, that's the reason why I opened the door after moving and left you to decorate our house and especially your office," he says in a neutral tone, and I grin.

"You know me way too well."

"It would be sad if that weren't the case as we have been together for three years now. Anyways, how was the meeting with your agent?" he asks me and turns back to the stove. Huffing I lean against the kitchen counter next to him.

"Do you want to hear the good or the not so good news first?"

"The good ones, so I can cheer you up afterwards." A sheepish grin adorns his lips and I roll my eyes, because I am still in a bad mood from today's meeting.

"Okay," I huff, and he tries to comfort me with a smile.
"Netflix accepted the changes I made to the script, and they are almost done with casting the actors for the characters. I should receive an e-mail with their suggestions by tonight and I need to approve them."

"That's amazing," he says, and I can tell that he doesn't really mean it. I close my eyelids for a second, trying to not let it get to me.
"What's wrong?" he asks and puts his hand on my cheek.

"I just hope that the movie will do the plot and the characters justice." As soon as I have finished, he withdraws his hand again and I am immediately hurt by it.

"We already talked about that when they offered you the deal over a year ago and back then you said that you wouldn't mind," Luke states and shakes his head slightly.

"Back then I needed the money to buy this house, so we could move in together." My words come out harsher than I want them to be, and he draws his eyebrows together.