Chapter 19

"Hey, Syn?" Brody asked randomly, breaking the peaceful silence between us. He didn't move his head from his spot, knowing full well that I would get mad if he did so.

"Hmm?" I asked and kept my eyes closed, keeping my head on his. "What is it?"

"Do you think we will get to see what Anima looks like?"

"Probably," I replied and shrugged.

"Are we going to live there?" Brody asked softly after a moment's pause.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and grew slightly tense before I tried to relax for my brother's sake. "I don't know," I said, and my voice turned a little darker and colder, even though I didn't mean for it to. "I hope not."

"Why not?" Brody asked and cocked his head while he looked at me.

"I still have work and school," I replied and shrugged, "and Mom will probably want to stay here, even though there isn't anything here for her except for us." I paused and cleared my throat. "I don't think she wants to move to Anima or that it is safe for her."

"What if I want to move there?" Brody asked and raised an eyebrow.

I lifted my head and looked at him, staying silent while I studied him.

I had no idea if he wanted to live there or not, but that question put me on edge, especially since I had taken care of him just as much as Mom.

Brody lifted his head and looked at me. "What?" he asked and furrowed his brows while he cocked his head and studied me. "What is it?"

"Do you want to live in Anima?" I asked and raised an eyebrow. "Or is that just a broad question, and worry about it in the near future?"

Brody shrugged and looked away while he looked at me. "I don't know," he said honestly. "It sounds like a cool place to live. I mean, there could be dragons and unicorns and other stuff that are only a myth here. People will have powers, and we won't be considered outcasts."

But what if we were...

"I have watched you at school before, Brody," I said, not answering his question. "You don't act like an outcast. You have friends and everything."

"But I am the only one with powers," he groaned and slouched lower in his seat with a small pout, "and I can't talk to anyone about them."

I looked at the edge of the porch and stayed silent while I thought about his friends and who could possibly have powers.

Finally, I sighed and shook my head before I cleared my throat when I thought about one particular kid that he hung out with at and after school. "There might be others in your group that have powers," I said while I dipped my head.

"Oh, ya?" Brody asked and raised an eyebrow. He gave me a pointed look while he studied me. "Who?" he asked. "Who has powers?"

"Carson," I replied instantly. "I think Caraon's family has powers."

Brody wrinkled his nose and pursed his lips in annoyance. "Ya, right," he said while he rolled his eyes and scowled. "If he did, then he should have told me by now."

I raised an eyebrow and gave him a pointed look. "And have you told him that you had powers?" I asked and raised my eyebrow higher.

Brody shifted in his seat and looked guilty while he looked down, not meeting my piercing gaze. "Well... no..." he said, meekly, "but you told me not to."

"Un huh," I said and nodded, "and his parents might have had some words with him about letting you know if he has powers or not. I am sure that the king wanted to know first."