Chapter 29

I bit back an annoyed sigh and shook my head but didn't say a word. I cleared my throat and again in my bed slowly I read over the letter a second time to find where I had left off before he interrupted me a second time.

"Well?" Brody asked impatiently when I didn't say a word. He scowled and narrowed his eyes while he looked at me. "Are you going to continue to read the letter?"

I moved the paper down and stared at him with a sarcastic smile on my face. "Yes, Brody," I said in a mock cheerful voice. "I was planning on doing that when I found out where I had left off, but you interrupted me a second time."

My brother cringed and shifted away from me, but there was a look of amusement on his face that he couldn't hide, no matter how hard he tried. "Sorry, Syn," he said apologetically, and I held back an eye roll and pressed my lips into a thin line. "I didn't mean to."

"Mmmmhmm," I said and lifted the paper so that I could read it again, clearing my throat and licking my lips before I began again. "'However, one of these days, I hope that I can answer any and all questions that you two have, especially since I know more things about the two of you than those who are supposed to be close to you both. I am not going to name names, but you both know him and consider him a "friend."

Yes, I did put quotations around the word "friend," even though I know, or I hope I know, that I don't have to do that. However, I know that you don't want to get too close to anyone, Synthia, in fears that they will leave you behind like your father did so many years ago.'"

I couldn't help it; I had to stop reading the letter. I had to gain my composure after I had quickly read the next line while I read the line about my father.

My heart ached and yearned for this part to be the truth, praying that whatever he said was true and that they weren't leaving no matter how tall or high my walls were or how closed off my heart was.

"Syn?" Brody asked when I didn't say anything else about what was on the letter. His voice was soft and barely above a whisper, and I wouldn't have turned my attention to him if it weren't for the fact that he placed a comforting hand on my arm. "Are you ok? What's wrong?"

I stared at him only to realize that my vision was partially blurry as if I was about to cry, even though I had no idea.

"Are you?" he asked and furrowed his brows further. He frowned, and a look of worry appeared on his face when I didn't say a word while I looked at him.

"Huh?' I asked and furrowed my brows while I cocked my head and stared at him. "Oh, ya, ya." I cleared my throat and wiped my eyes, blinking back the tears that wanted to fall. "Sorry; sorry, I had something in my eye."

"Liar," he said and frowned, rolling his eyes. "What happened? What was wrong? Why did it look like you were about to cry?"

"Becauee I was about to cry," I replied sarcastically before I cleared my throat and wiped my eyes some more. "It is a good reason, right?"

My brother scowled and rolled his eyes, narrowing his eyes. "Why were you about to cry, Syn? What was in the letter? Is it something bad?"

I chuckled bitterly and shook my head, pursing my lips in annoyance. "No," I said and licked my lips before I cleared my throat and shifted in my bed some more. "It wasn't anything bad, Brody."

"Does it have to do with the letter?"

I nodded in confirmation and stayed silently, gaining my composure.

"Then what is it? What did he say?"

I wiped my eyes again and shook my head before I cleared my throat and looked at the letter again. "So this part is in parentheses, but he says, '(Just know that no matter how hard you try to push your friend and I out of your life or keep us at an arms length, we will be there for you.