1 - From Another Dimension

In the middle of the night, Laney sat alone at her desk, painting a small number '1' in blue on the first tape. She sighed deeply, her frustration evident as she carefully slipped the tape into the recorder.

"Hey, it's Laney," she began, her voice steady but tinged with an edge of uncertainty. "I bet you're wondering why I recorded these tapes. Honestly, I didn't even know myself. Not everything was perfect. I guess it all really started when we moved. But it's not going to be that simple. Are you ready? Some people say you have to wait to find your soulmate. Well, I just had to be a villain." She smirked, reaching for some black paint.

"It was almost like we were meant for each other—not just friends, but soulmates. So, without further interruptions—well, for now—this is tape one. The day my life finally brought something meaningful back."

The tape crackled as Laney's voice continued, now filled with a heavier tone. "Dinner time was always chaotic, not because of the food or my parents' bad jokes—well, not just the jokes, but something else entirely." She recalled the scene vividly. Laney had been in her room, engrossed in *13 Reasons Why*. To others, it was just a show about a girl blaming those who ruined her life; for Laney, it was an understanding.

"Some people say, 'Oh, she did it because she's suicidal or hates her life,' but that's not the reason. Sure, the show gave me some ideas for these tapes, but if you listen closely, you'll understand my reasons."

She sighed, adjusting herself comfortably in her sheets. Her father's footsteps echoed as he walked upstairs and knocked on each door. "Honey, dinner's ready."

Curious, she asked, "Who made it?"

"Me," her father replied. Laney hurried downstairs, a smile on her face.

Her dad chuckled as all his kids rushed to the table. "Dad always makes the best meals," Laney thought, recalling that night's spaghetti and meatballs fondly. "We had a system, or so I thought."

Leah-Kate, the youngest, would hand out the plates. Olivia, the second oldest, would grab the cups, though she often stayed glued to her phone. Katie, the third oldest, would cook with Dad, their culinary partnership evident.

"I wouldn't say favorites were played, but it was clear Katie and Dad had more in common, almost like chef-buddies. I still don't understand it."

"Alright, kids, dig in," Dad announced with a smirk and a wink. "I tried something new with the recipe."

Family dinners were usually a no-judgment zone where anyone could say anything, making Laney feel safe at times. "But this isn't just about me," she said, her tone shifting. "Let me introduce you to my first 13th reason—Phoenix Cross, my stepbrother. Welcome, Phoenix. This is your tape. Now, I bet you're wondering why my own brother is the first tape. Well, I thought the same until..."

Laney's voice grew somber. "Everything wasn't perfect in our household. Mistakes were made, cakes were burnt, but we tried to believe everything was okay because that's all we could believe."

At dinner, Dad broke the ice. "So, how was everyone's day?"

"Good. I aced my math exam," Katie said proudly, twirling her spaghetti.

"That's my sister Katie—smart and manipulative. She's really the mother of the family when Mom isn't around."

"I figured out how to use my new power today. Look." Laney demonstrated, using her mind to lift a vase, which shattered on the floor. "Sorry, still working on the focus part." She sat back down, slightly embarrassed.

"My other sister Olivia is funny but not the brightest. Sometimes I think she acts silly to distract us from the pain."

"That's my little sister Leah-Kate," Laney continued, "mischievous and a sassy queen. She does the worst things, but she's also the joy of the family."