Epilogue

(856 words)

Your POV

Laying in my bed, my eyes twitch as I feel something drip on me. Not opening my eyes, my hand comes up to touch whatever it was. Gliding it in between my fingertips it's warm and sticky. Opening my eyes as I furrow my brows in the darkness, there's someone, or better yet something standing over me. The only thing I can see in the darkness is the shine of his blue mask, the voids of darkness with some substance oozing from them. It didn't look like it had eyes.

Staring at the thing above me, I don't move, whatever was dripping on me that woke me up, continuing to do so. Sitting up as he moves away from me, a scalpel in his gloved hand. Turning to look at him, the room is silent. The sounds of our breathing is the only thing in the room. Watching him I tilt my head. We sat studying each other in the darkness. The faint outline of his dark clothes and blue mask in the room from the street light outside. Shifting in my bed I went to turn on the lamp on my nightstand.

Clicking it on as light fills the room, I turn to see, nothing. My room is normal, nothing in it besides what's been in it for the last year or two. The same furniture and décor, no creature. Putting a hand in my hair as I scratch at my scalp for a moment. With a sigh I flop back down onto my bed, turning the lamp off and rolling over like I had a strange dream. Closing my eyes as I tried to go to back, doing what I could to get the lingering thoughts of whatever sense I could get from that dream.

~

The next morning I woke up like usual, the sound of my alarm waking me up as I look at the ceiling. Getting out of my bed, and walking to the joined bathroom to my room I turn the light on before doing my business for the morning. When I was done I stand in front of the mirror, my tired eyes aimed at the sink as the strange dream still lingers in the back of my mind, the thoughts of that creature staring down at me buzzing around. Flicking my eyes to the mirror, I lean forward as I raise a hand to a few strange, black drips that have dried to my skin. Touching them and feeling the same stickiness from last night I look at them as I realize, that whatever happened last night wasn't a dream.

The one on my cheek that I had smeared as I felt it land, a few more on my chest where my tank top didn't cover. Getting into the shower to scrub whatever it was off of me, and getting out. Going about the normal routine as if I was watching myself, or even still asleep. Deciding to stay home instead of going to my classes. I can see the figure above me when I blink, closing my eyes he's there. Like when you stare at a picture for too long, and it burns into your retinas. I was curious, though I'm pretty sure I should have been afraid.

Sitting at my desk in my room, I open my laptop and start searching for that mask. The only thing coming up was some internet story called Eyeless Jack. The strange creature showing up in similar pictures. Sitting back from my laptop as I think: surely these can't be real? Maybe I've finally lost it? The solitude has made me crazy?

Rubbing my temples, a headache is coming on. I feel a breeze as I stand up and grab some tylenol. Looking over to find my window slightly open, when I never sleep with it open. It doesn't have a screen, and I don't want any bugs in my room. Closing the window I grab my shoes and jacket, the fall air being warmer than usual, but the breeze comes in quick to nip at you. Hearing my parents in the kitchen, talking as if I don't exist I walk out of the front door, and around to where my window is.

Looking at the edge of the house, nothing seems out of place. The leaves covering the ground make it pretty difficult to see any footprints. Scanning the ground, my eyes move to the tree next to my window. Bark being rubbed off in a few places. Touching the parts where the bark is rubbed off, my brows furrow. These were fresh marks on the tree, so whatever got into my room last night, it was real. I didn't dream it. It came into my room, possibly to kill me, or even worse. That only begs one question.

"Why the hell didn't I move when I woke up?"

~

I had the idea for this story when I was messing around with an AI Eyeless Jack on an app called Talkie. Hopefully this is good, I don't know how long it'll be, but enjoy.